NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

NEW African Grey owner - HELP

Lucy776

I am a real estate agent and I just inherited an African Grey today from a client that has a fatal illnes. The Greys living conditions were not so good. When I went to get him I took a pressure washer any cleaned his cage before moving it. His cage hadn't been cleaned in months, properly cleaned in years??? Anyway, he has a clean cage now, I plan to take him tho the vet this week. I don't think he's healthly. He did bob when the other day when I went to see before I brought him home. I've had him only about eight hours now and he has not bobbed in that time however he was very unnerved at first and has seemed to calm down. I went and bought him some toys, treats and a new perch. He's had very little interaction the last year. I hope gain his trust and have him become a part of our family. I've been reading a little about AG's online and am worried. Like I mentioned before, he did bop up and down the other day, he does have flacky dry looking skin, he does have a couple mildly bare spots on his chest and I think his diet has been very poor. I used gloves to move him and he did bite, Is it worth upsetting him again to take him out of his cage to the vet tomorrow? What do I need to have them do to him? Should I have him bathed? I'd appreciate any advice/help I can get. I'd love nothing more than him to be healthy and love me. Thanks Read the full post...

Congrats on your new baby! It sounds like he's very lucky to have you as his new mom :).

I think the vet check is a must. If I were you, I'd probably have bloodwork done and maybe have a fecal check. I'm sure they will probably do a complete workup on him since his living conditions haven't been too hot. When I adopted my bird, the stress of being placed into a rescue lowered her immune system just enough for her to get a minor bacterial infection (some antibiotics cleared it right up). He probably needs his calcium levels checked as well (usually included in the bloodwork).

He definitely needs baths. If he won't get in a bowl of water, you can mist him. Some aloe vera juice would also be good for his dry skin. I mist my grey at least weekly, but try to do it every 3 days or so. After I get her fairly wet, I spritz her with aloe juice.

Direct sunlight is a good way to kill germs, so if you could roll the cage out into the hot sun for a few hours, it would kill most anything. I use Grapefruit Seed Extract for cleaning as well. It kills just about every nasty thing you can imagine.

You'll get lots of good advice here. Several people have rescued birds from less than ideal conditions.<br><br>Post edited by: spookyhurst, at: 2008/03/17 06:57

Hi Lucy and welcome. Sounds like you are doing a great thing to give this bird in need a new home. Keep in mind this will take some time for the bird to adjust to its new home, you, new living conditions, new routines etc. The bird is most certainly scared right now and unsure. It does not know that you intend to give it a great new home, a good diet, more interaction, toys etc that it will ultimately like. I would not introduce new toys at this time, unless the bird is known to take well to that. They will usually become relatively adjusted to a new place in about a month. It is rarely faster than that and commonly longer. If the bird did not have much interaction, toys, attention etc in its routine with the last owner you need to be careful not to overwhelm the bird. Put yourself in its place...it is most cerainly scared and uncertain. I would think a vet visit is a good idea. Is it eating well? On a varied diet with fresh veggies, fruits etc or just on a seed diet?

Is the bird clipped or can it fly? Regarding getting the bird used to you and surroundings, take it slow. Offer treats through cage. Let the bird see you, smell you, hear your voice. Talk to it through the cage and if it seems engaged you can try more interaction. Many people have good luck leaving the cage door open and if the bird feels comfortable it will climb out of the cage. Again, time will be your best friend here. Assuming the bird is relatively healthy there is a great chance it will indeed become a valuable member of your family. B) However, it may take a year of more for the bird to really settle in to you and its new home. I would be careful not to overwhelm it with toys etc, particularly if it did not have many previously as this can be stressful to them. Every bird is different, but greys are often rather suspicious and spooked by new things at first. The degree of sensitivity has a lot to do with what and when in their lives they were exposed to diversity.

So, I am not sure I answered your questions. Suffice it to say that with patience and consistent positive interaction you can build a great relationship this animal. Do not expect change overnite. If healthy they are long lived animals (50-60yrs avg) and as such things take time! I am sure other members here will provide additional guidance. Please keep us posted on the status, cruise around and read threads here (there is lots of good info) and do not be afraid to ask/post questions! B) ;)

Also, about the birds diet... it has just been on seed and not a very good looking one at that. What fresh foods should I introduce first? What's the best bird feed to buy???? Thanks to everyone who responded earlier, I really appreciate your help and advice.

Hi there Lucy,

Congrats to you and your new feathered companion. Re: taking him to the vet now - if it were me, I would take him now, but I would ensure I find a certified avian vet who has good reviews.

It may take some research, but a good avian vet will make all the difference in the world.

I recall our first vet visit and I was termendously nervous about how Bella would take this visit. The vet was so good with her, so confident, loving, and reassuring he made the visit a game for her. Her "check up" turned into a visit with a funny looking guy with a big beard, a kind voice, gentle hands, and fun tricks.

He thought she might be a little stressed out after our visit and might have a loose stool because of it, but Bella didn't even bat an eye lash - it was such a positive experience she took it in stride.

So, I would take him, but I would make sure it is the right vet, one that meets your needs as much as the birds - i.e. someone who will provide you with tips, information, and is available to you (and for me that means mentally and emotionally available - a vet who understands what makes me anxious about my birds and can help me understand how to deal with issues).

Cheers!

Terri

Lucy many of our members feed Harrisons pellets along side Fresh veg & fruit,I also feed a good quality seed mix.Introducing new foods is going to take time if your grey has had a poor diet,but persevere it will be a gradual progress for him.Try feeding new food in the morning along with his seed,greys are at their hungriest in the mornings.Here is a few links for you..

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/bird-food/53831-tips-for-getting-your-grey-to-eattry-new-foods.html

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/bird-food/59809-complete-veggiefruit-list.html

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/bird-food/24030-whats-your-greys-diet.html<br><br>Post edited by: lovemyGreys, at: 2008/03/17 15:22

Dorian's bad with new food, but if I sit beside his cage and he sees me eating he's becoming curious enough to at least beak test something new before rejecting it, and sometimes he eats it! It's also a good social activity, makes your bird feel more like part of a flock to eat together.

I know what it's like to dread a vet visit. I actually wimped out and had one do a house call, but your bird does need to be checked because it's sounds like it has been very neglected.

Patience is the key. It's so worth it. Good luck!

Karma for you friend for bringing that lucky bird home. We appreciate that a lot.

Give it some time and it will all work out just fine. The bobbing of the head means he wants love (I think)

Tail bobbing means call 911! I had a tragedy recently considering that.

Let us know how it goes.

Miss Lucy, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for taking on this little fella! i am a rescue mom too and what you are doing is invaluable and will be more rewarding than you can imagine.

all good advice above. have you changed his name? my merlin originally was 'simon' which i did not think fit him at all. when he was in his foster home before he came to me i had his foster mum work on his new name. just a thought. i have been active in dog & cat rescue and in that world, a new name helps the kritter have a fresh new start. not sure how it works in the bird world, but merly does fine with his new name. and who knows? maybe they poked him or teased him while calling him his old name.

we are all cheering you on, may i ask where you are generally located? i am sure there will be a good birdy store nearby and a good parrot rescue that will be happy to advise you along the way. plus we are all here to help 24/7!

now has anyone else asked for pictures? if not, get snappin!

PS nerlin enforces a very strict 'no touchy birdy' policy. but we are working on that.

and i build his toys in front of him so he is not afraid of them. but that is on another thread and will patiently wait until you are ready for it.

i feed harrisons adult lifetime coarse (blue label) plus he gets a couple el paso nutri berries morning and nite. his other bowl i use for the wet food...fruits/vegetables/etc. then his other bowl is for filtered water (not tap water). but i use a brita pitcher so i'm not paying for bottled water.

there are some threads about air fresheners, candles and non stick pans you might want to read up on pretty soon otherwise you are doing GREAT taking him to the vet right away. then all the stressful stuff will be out of the way at the get-go.

before you get to your birdy store there are lots of things he can eat that you eat. plus eating together is a great exercise socially. he'll learn Good Things Come From The Hand. my understanding is to just watch your fat, sodium and sugar.

now i am sure i speak for the group when i say we are all eager to hear much more about you and your little fella! what IS his name anyway???

PPS. merlin likes the blues channel and the big band channel. not so much the salsa y merengue channel. i chalk that up to my singing. maybe some music would be helpful. at least that is what we thought when we brought him home.

i also play the light classical channel a lot and every now and then a little blast of bluegrass.

he seems to like harmonica and higher-pitched trumpet.

you'll soon find what your little guy likes.

Thank you Sandra! The sadest part of his story is that after 15 yrs with his previous family they never named him. Which is very strange to me. Don't misunderstand, his owner was a very nice man but just didn't name him, he did teach him to say "hello Baby", so maybe he thinks his name is baby - I just don't know.

He bit me through gloves when I moved him form cage to carrier to cage, but I really think that was just in defense. I think he has a sweet heart. I've been sticking my gloveless hand in his cage to feed & water him. He let's me know he's not crazy about it but has not lunged at me or acted as if he were gonna bite, although I have to admit my heart was racing and I tried hard to act like I wasn't scared.

I haven't been able to find a bird vet any closer than 2 hours from me, which is a problem. I've made a dozen calls today to find someone. The closest vet I talked to that claims to work with the birds PETSMART sells but isn't an avian vet said I shouldn't get him out in the weather we're having, he said I need to wait a week or two. He's afraid he might catch cold. This vet is an hour away. I worry about him riding in the car for 2 hours to go to an avian vet, what would I transport him in?

Hi there Lucy,

I'm going to have a two hour drive to an avian vet once I get to Florida as well. I'm going to make the drive because people who don't know birds could just seriously mess things up.

I have a regular aircraft approved pet carrier that I got at Petsmart for Bella. It's about the size for a small dog or cat. Bella fits in nicely, can stand up. She doesn't mind car rides, in fact she's real curious about looking out, so I'm not too concerned about driving two hours with her.

Cheers!

Terri

It takes about an hour and a half to get to Nikko's vet. There are bird vets closer (including a certified avian vet), but Nikko's vet came highly recommended to me. Even though he is not certified (I believe he's studying to take the test), I completely trust him. He sees mostly birds at his clinic, as well as other exotics like reptiles.

I also have a suggestion for pellets. Goldenfeast Golden'obles are organic and all-natural. The ingredient list is impressive:

Hulled organic barley, Roasted organic soybeans, Organic corn, Organic pureed papaya, Organic Triticali, Shelled almonds, Organic flax seed, Organic hulled oats, Organic alfalfa, Maltoferm malt extract, Organic Pasteurized honey, Organic Quinoa, Organic Kamut, Beets, Amaranth, Organic spelt, Apples (cored), Sesame seed, organic Fenugreek, Pureed organic Guava, shelled Pumpkin seed, Dried Lactobacillus acidophillis fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus fermentum fermentation product, Dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, and Dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, and Dried Bifidobacterium longum fermentation product. Parsley, Fennel seed, Sweet potatoes, Carrots, Blueberries, Raspberries, Wheat grass, Star anise seed, Ginger, Echinacea, Red clover leaf and Cilantro.

Personally i would leave my greys in my car, i would prepare something to eat to take with me & stop on my journey, but thats me ;) do you have a pet carrier for him ? if you dont want water spilling i usually put a little fresh fruit in the carrier to quench their thirst .