NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

752 Dogs and 36 Birds confiscated from AZ hoarder

spookyhurst

A couple days ago there was a sad story on the news. 752 dogs (mostly chihuahuas) and 36 birds were confiscated from a breeder/hoarder who was living with them in a triple wide trailer :angry:. Here's a link to the story: http://www.kvoa.com/Global/story.asp?S=8006272&nav=J7Ns

There's been a lot of stuff in the news about the dogs, but nothing on the birds. I got an email today from The Oasis (a bird sanctuary) that told about the bird situation. Also, it mentions TARA, which is the rescue I adopted Nikko from.

Seven Hundred Fifty Two Dogs and Thirty Six Birds

-or-

My Day at The Humane Society of Southern AZ

Sybil Erden – March 14, 2008

Thursday my e-mailbox was filled with posts from around the country asking whether I had heard about the huge dog and bird confiscation in Tucson. The reports varied….giving the number of Chihuahuas at 800 as a high, or 650 as a low. There also were varied reports on the number of birds ranging from 60 to 80.

I kept calling my friends at HSSA (the Humane Society of Southern Arizona) but, of course, the number was consistently busy. I called Tom Trebeski, who volunteers for The Oasis (our webmaster) as well as a board member for TARA (Tucson Avian Rescue and Adoption.) We agreed to try amd send one some of their volunteers down to HSSA to check things out as they were closer than we are. Yesterday evening, Barbara Bailey, TARA's director, called me and gave me what information she had…

There were, I learned, 36 birds. They were not all legally released to HSSA, and many had medical problems. An avian veterinarian from a local clinic spent most of the day with the birds and was scheduled to come back today. Barb and I agreed to meet at HSSA this morning. I would bring additional cages and bowls. There were food donations already pouring in…

At 10:15 I arrived in Tucson in front of the normally quiet Humane Society. There were between 300 and 500 people waiting to fill out adoption papers for the Chihuahuas, all of whom had been signed over to HSSA, unlike many of the birds.

The Sheriff's department, HSSA volunteers and staff, the media with cameras and microphones all added to the surreal mixture of adults and children waiting in long lines around the facility. I drove around for several minutes before taking a semi-legal parking spot. I went up to the first HSSA staff person I saw and told him who I was and why I was here. He called one of my friends who Okayed me to go into the otherwise off-limits bird quarantine area.

I was brought to a large room in a small building off to the side of the main adoption center. The room was filled with birds in cages. Many were the original cages which the birds had arrived in and these cages literally stank! Outside were new cages, crates and huge bags of seed and pellets. Outside there also were some of the original cages complete with filth encrusted bowls, some of which had remnants of brackish water and others which held nothing but sunflower seed….

We spent the day washing bowls and giving the birds a variety of food and clean water. We spent time moving birds as we changed out cages. We changed out poopy papers, hung toys and in general did the things it takes to keep birds safe, clean and healthy….

Although a couple of birds were already in the hospital, there were several more birds who had us seriously worried….a fluffed up Lilac-crown Amazon who was too weak to eat; a female Eclectus who sat on her perch, fluffed up, with eyes half open and head tilted all day; an unusually subdued Umbrella cockatoo. I was shown a plucked Goffin's with a large tumor near his vent. Then there were some birds who simply would not eat.

The room was filled with birds of all sorts. Some were terrified. Others confused. A few reached out for attention. There is a sweet and cuddly Citron female. There is a one eyed angry Hahn's Macaw. There are two Greys…a curious CAG and a terrified older wild-caught Timneh. There was a hungry little cockatiel who went to town on donated millet spray. The scissor-beaked, but extraordinarily friendly Severe became my buddy. Then there is the odd-couple - a one-footed Citron missing her lower beak who has been cared for by a devoted Sun Conure is without a doubt one of my favorites. In my opinion they are one of the likeliest pairs to come to The Oasis.

Right now it appears as though there is enough food, feeding and cleaning materials for the birds. The Humane Society is paying for all the medical care at this point. Once we know which birds are coming here we will take over the cost of their medical care if any….But in all honesty, it will be a while before we know which birds or when they will be coming here.

I will have Tom T. update the on-going saga on our website, so check back every few days. I will also send this out to our Oasis News list as I have more to share. Feel free to cross-post this, as I know there are many folks around the country interested in this rescue/confiscation.

For more information on the rescue you can go to www.hssaz.org/news_chihuahua_rescue.html/

This message currently posted on the HSSA website:

ATTENTION >> The HSSA is extremely grateful for the community's huge outpouring of support in response to the recent dog rescue. WE HAD MANY MORE VISITORS THAN WE EXPECTED; ALL ANIMALS (dogs)INVOLVED WITH THE RESCUE HAVE BEEN ADOPTED AND WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE FOR VIEWING. The HSSA shelter still has many wonderful animals up for adoption and they can be visited during our normal hours. Thank you again for your support!

The rescued birds still need treatment and are not up for adoption yet. We thank you for your patience in this matter.

The HSSA thanks the public for the overwhelming response we have received asking us how they can help. At this time, monetary donations provide us with invaluable resources in the care, treatment, and sheltering of the hundreds of rescued animals we are still caring for. Donations can be made via the PayPal link above, dropped off at the shelter at 3450 N. Kelvin Blvd., or you may contact the shelter at 520-327-6088 to make a donation over the phone. Donations of towels are also always needed to assist in the care of our animals. Thank you!

Guess that is all for now….I'll write more after my next visit with the birds at HSSA.

Syb

--

Sybil Erden, Executive Director

The Oasis Sanctuary

www.the-oasis.org

520-212-4737

I don't know how so called animal lovers can let their pets languish is such horrible conditions :( :angry:.

That sweet little sun conure is sure a special bird. It must have to feed and groom its cockatoo friend. That would be a lot of work for such a little guy.

They call it hoarding when someone keeps so many animals and can't care for them, they think they are saving them but they aren't. And there is a lot of this going on out there in the world but this has got to be one of the worst cases.

I agree that little sun conure had quite a job feeding and grooming that cockatoo but what a heart warming story that little tidbit was to hear.:kiss:

• 2 weeks later...

Update from The Oasis:

Dear Friends of The Oasis....

As expected, everywhere I go I am asked whether The Oasis has received any of the Tucson rescue birds.

The short answer is no...

The longer answer is:

(1) there still are on-going legal issues surrounding "ownership" of the birds. The Pima County Sheriff's Department is still actively involved in the case, and so the birds remain in quarantine at the Humane Society of Southern AZ (HSSA.) This situation will take a while to get to court and be adjudicated.

(2) There are some serious, unresolved health issues at play in this case as well. A Vet is working on the birds on a daily basis, along with bird-savy volunteers from TARA (Tucson Avian Rescue and Adoption.) Most if not all of the birds remain on antibiotics. At least three that I know of have died and a few remain hospitalized. Necropsies are being done by the University of Arizona in order to find out why these birds are so ill.

(3) No decisions have been made as to which birds might be adopted and which might come here. Obviously, until the health and legal issues are sorted out, these poor souls are not going anywhere. But they are getting good care.... Hopefully the remaining birds will regain their health and find wonderful homes. The Oasis remains available to any handicapped or retired breeding pairs who might need our help.

Regarding the Chihauhaus.... I have heard that although all the currently adoptable dogs were placed, a small number have been returned due to health and social/behavioural issues. (Hey, folks, the dogs were rescued because there were problems!!! )

However, on a positive note, I have run into two people to date in my dealings in Tucson who have adopted these dogs successfully. One lady was at one of our Veterinarians getting a final check-up and is thrilled with her little girl.

There are a few Momma dogs and babies which will be avaialble in another 4-6 weeks....but there are many more people who filled out applications than available remaining dogs. A dog-lottery perhaps??

In fact so many people have recently gone to the HSSA to adopt dogs that they were able to take in otherwise potentially homeless dogs from other local pounds and shelters and found them homes as well !!! What a great thing! Thank you Tucson!

And thank you all for your concern about the 35 remaining parrots.

Syb

--

Sybil Erden, Executive Director

The Oasis Sanctuary

www.the-oasis.org

• 1 month later...

New update. Some of the birds are now available for adoption. I thought there was a second grey, but either it was one of the ones that died or it's not ready to be adopted. Here's the email I got:

Here is a list of the HS birds that will be available for adoption shortly. You can call Justin at 327-6088 Ext.108 for more info, pricing (will probably be comparable to TARA prices or Higher to help with their vet bills). Most of them do need some work, some may never become really friendly, but they do deserve a home, especially after the last home! So if you can open your hearts & wallets for them, they would really appreciate it..

Sun conure - friendly

Lilac crowned (mexican red head) amazon - female, friendly.

Lilac crowned - fearful, needs alot of work.

Severe macaw - lunges at many, needs work, scissor beak.

Severe macaws, pair - need work.

Timneh grey - import, very scared, deformed beak.

Mid. sulfurcrested cockatoo - female, friendly.

Sun conure paired with citron cockatoo (female, with special needs - one leg, deformed beak. - sun is probably friendly, citron needs work.

White faced male cockatiel - quite friendly, but needs to be taught step up, has sores on wings.

Normal grey female cockatiel - very friendly.

Black capped caique - friendly, need experience.

Lilac crowned amazon - needs work.

Blue crowned conure - needs work.

Blue front amazon - probably male, needs work.

Yellow collared mini macaw - one eye, needs work.

Goffin cockatoo - male, import, fearful, need Goffin experience.

Goffin cockatoo - male, friendly, plucker, has tumor, need Goffin experience.<br><br>Post edited by: spookyhurst, at: 2008/05/02 01:36