NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

BEING ABLE TO HANDLE YOUR BIRD

nevjoe

Well, Tari, what works for some may not work for others. I personally am happy my vet is so comfortable with birds, he was able to reach right in and take Bella out of her crate and began interacting with her, handling her with confidence, and without any problems. He is a fabulous avian vet who is used to handling birds of prey. He has an amazon himself. He was able to run her through all the tests he needed. She nipped him once and he held her at eye's height and said "ouch no bite!" and he made a sad face. She didn't bite again.

I'm also glad Bella likes her towel, and we don't use it as a restraint. After her shower I wrap her up in it and she sits in it with her little noggen sticking out. She'll sit there wrapped up in her towel for about 15 minutes after her shower, and then when she's warm enough and dry enough, she'll come out of the towel on her own.

But, that's what works for us.

I want to teach Nikko that being wrapped in a towel can be cozy and fun, but haven't done it yet. Her groomer wraps her in a towel to trim her nails and wings, but her vet just uses his hands. He swoops her up and holds her close to him while he listens to her heart and whatnot, and holds her on her back to clip nails and wings. Wish I were as confident as him!