NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

BEING ABLE TO HANDLE YOUR BIRD

nevjoe

Very good point about biting. I tell anyone who is shocked that my birds sometimes bite I say "you keep parrots, you're gonna take a bite...."

Biting is simply another form of communication for a parrot and the sooner a parrot owner realizes this, the faster a bad bite can be understood and forgiven.

Poor Gus's "dad" bit his owner once and the poor bird was banished to his cage -- never to be handled again. It could have been as innocent as biting from being suddenly startled, but the owner did not try to understand why the bird bit, and now it is punished for the rest of its life. Kudos to you for trying to enlighten and educate.

I would love to be able to handle my grey but no I won't push it and have her develop a biting habit.

I do think with some more training I should be able to when I need too. Until then I well stick to the towel. She does let me towel her with some fuss and right now if I have to touch one of those places she don't want me to I just towel her and let her bite that.

Greys are not cuddle birds in general so if you have one that enjoys that count yourself lucky.

Great food for thought. Joe:cheer:

Wonderful video Joe! Thanks! I think you'd like Bella - she likes to horse around like that too. I do the rasberry on her belly and flip her on her back and tickle her belly - one of these days she's going to start giggling like a little kid!

Dovetailing on your topic Joe, I just remembered having read somewhere (I'll find the source, it was a good read) that parrots actually need that tactile interaction. They preen each other and that is related to social and emotional interactions rather then cleaning as we would think normally. The article actuall stated if we don't show our parrots that kind of tactile "love' they will become emotionally imbalanced and can get sick. I found that very interesting! I'll see if I can't find that article again.

Great Video Joe, I can't believe I missed it somehow over the last week. Thanks for putting that up. You and your Parrots are having way too much fun togther :-)

I have to try launching Dayo like you did Hemingway. If you don't hear back from me, you'll know Dayo killed me :unsure: :woohoo:

I think Sweetheart and I are living proof of what Tari was talking about. I thought I was going to have to go for the toweling experience as well because that is what I had to do with Our Quaker Molly because when she came to us she was 3 years old and abused very badly. She would take chunks out of my hand. Of course being she was flicked in the head by a woman and locked in a dark stair well for god only knows how long I didn't blame her. I blamed the woman who had her.

But on SweetHeart, she was a bird I could just pick up and talk to for a minute and than put on her stand. UNTIL I got the wonderful advice from Joe! This was a little while back and he has stuck by me every step of the way! He told me to pet her even when she didn't want to be petted and to show her that my hands weren't the danger zone. That actually being petted could feel nice. It has been baby steps no doubt! And I'm sure as he can tell you this didn't happen in a week. It has happened over a 4 month period. And for you that are reading this SweetHeart is only 10 months old! She isn't a older bird. She was just stubborn. But now I can pet her and she has pretty much chosen me as the one she likes the best, which suits me just fine. But last week was the first time ever that I was able to give her neck scratches!! I was soo excited! And than this week she came off of her cage, climbed over to my chair and tried to eat some Life cereal out of my bowl! This was a huge thing to me and for SweetHeart! I keep just having these little improvements with her and I owe it to everyone here on the forum, but mostly to Joe! He has PM'd me with help when I asked and was always there and he is very knowledgeable with his birds. I don't think it's mean to make your bird do what you want it to without a bunch of force. Just a little persuasion. I still haven't been bit yet thank god lol. But we are suppose to train our birds not our birds train us. And I thank you Joe! Karma babe!

Yeah Ronda! I can imagine how thrilled you are with the progress Sweetheart is making. Given the pictures you've shown of her, I can imagine how hard it must be not to just snatch her up and lover up on her. She is SO CUTE! But, you sure are working it, and I'm sure it's going to really pay off :)

Nychsa wrote:

Joe, here is one book that has some VERY interesting suggestions re: socializing AG's, and it does speak also of the importance of tactile interactions.

Yep Nychsa, tactile interactions are important to us all :whistle: Good post B)

danmcq wrote:

Nychsa wrote:
Joe, here is one book that has some VERY interesting suggestions re: socializing AG's, and it does speak also of the importance of tactile interactions.

Yep Nychsa, tactile interactions are important to us all :whistle: Good post B)

Well, we're just going to have to get Bella to tell Dayo you need some more tactile interactions! Maybe a good nip here or there :evil: :laugh: :laugh:

Nikko has come a long way in the 2 and 1/2 years we've had her (she's 7 years old now). Every night, my mom and I sit with her on the couch and pet her. It started with a few head and neck scratches, and we just keep getting more "personal" with her. She never likes the new touches at first, but eventually warms up to them. Right now we're working on stretching her wings out and messing with her toes. We've never been able to trim her wings or toenails ourselves, but resolved that we were just going to have to learn to do it. When Nikko tried to get away from the nail clippers, I clamped my thumb over her front toes and clip clip. Three toes down, 5 to go :P.

No problemo on the support Joe! I give it when it's due! And trust me, you have helped us big time. In just a week after seeing what you have done with your birds, Jessie has taken his 12 year old Quaker and had her hanging from his finger dangling her to play with him. After about the 5th time in a row she tries to fly away lol. But this is from the bird that was abused and not to mention she doesn't know how to play very well.

I will be your lawyer anytime lol. I can almost always turn a bad situation into a good one lol. Not that this was a bad one at all lol. My mom always said I could be a lawyer, I always put up an argument lol

Actually many bird behaviorist recommend you teach you bird to like being towel.

It comes in handy for those vet visits. If they are use to it they don't get as upset and it is a good thing also if they get tangles up in a toy or hurt to be able to hold you scared hurt bird in a towel.

Dandy my quaker loves his towel so much that when I open his door and I have a towel he well dive head first into in and then start to purr. lol So cute and has saved my hands, cause he bites all the time.