NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Well, that was awful!

Acappella

Hi guys. This morning Dorian saw the vet for the first time. I actually found a vet that does house calls, so he was here first thing this morning. I'm not sure who's more traumatized, Dorian or me! I'm fast getting a headache because my heart was beating so fast! The vet even towelled him and got him out of the cage for me. I hate, hate, hate, upsetting/hurting my baby even when it's for his own good. The sight of a bit of blood, the sounds he makes when he's scared or angry, just break my heart, y'know?

The vet agreed that his beak was quite over grown and trimmed it down a little. Also trimmed his wings and talons. He told me that the last person who trimmed his wings did them un-evenly so he evened them out and advised me to now let them grow out completely.

Anyway, he got a clean bill of health. He's in his cage right now completly silent and looking very indignent. I think I'm going to go out and run errands in a couple of hours and just let him be quiet, dim the lights a bit. I hope he forgives me!

Oh he will forgive you eventually, but first you are going to PAY! BIG TIME! :evil:

Just in case you EVER think of bringing that nasty man into your house again! :laugh:

Probably the best thing for Forian right now is if you go get some retail therapy!

Hi, Acappella.

How much human contact does your bird have? How much, out of cage time does he have daily?

Very glad the vet was there. He didn't do anything other then treat him as a bird needs to be handled. You shouldn't be so stressed out because your bird is not so bad off. Thank God the Vet took care of the birds basic needs.

Joe<br><br>Post edited by: nevjoe, at: 2008/03/07 16:04

siobha9 wrote:

Probably the best thing for Forian right now is if you go get some retail therapy!

My sentiments exactly:laugh:

He will forgive you just give him a little space right now and glad to hear that Dorian got a clean bill of health but sad that the bill was:woohoo:

Sorry not to agree that he needs his space. This is where your bird needs you the most. If a child gets hurt you comfort them not leave them alone.

It is So important to be able to handle your bird when things like this happen, that you will be there for them. When one of my guys fall or get hurt for some reason, I hold them close to my body and reassure them all will be fine.

YOUR BIRD NEED YOU.

Joe<br><br>Post edited by: nevjoe, at: 2008/03/07 18:09

Hi Joe. I agree he needs to be comforted. I've been sitting next to his cage talking to him, ate lunch with him and gave him a treat to eat. He even let me scratch his neck for a few seconds before he remembered he's mad at me. I long to hold him and comfort him, but he's not there yet. Unfortunately he lived for the first almost four years of his life without being handled at all so he's extremely hand shy. He's usually very affectionate, beaks me gently, lets me pet and scratch him anywhere, holds 'hands' with me, but the only time he willingly lets me hold him is if he gets startled off a perch and wants a ride back to his cage.

I do worry about his socialization, as most days I am the only person he sees, but I do make a point of asking people who come over to come down and talk to him, even invite people who he used to like at the pet store into my home so he can see them, and he talks back and forth with my father, as long as they're in separate rooms.

I just feel like a better mom now that he's been seen by a vet. Hopefully I'll be able to teach him better how to play and chew and introduce some different perches and toys to him so he can take care of his beak himself. The vet suggested soaking some toys in apple juice to teach him, so I'l probably try that this weekend.

Anyway, I just peeked around the door and the poor guy is sleeping with his head tucked under him, which I've never seen him do during the day before, so I think I'll give him a couple of quiet hours. He hasn't spoken a word since the vet left. I guess I'll know we are heading back to normal when he starts talking again.

You are right that he is all out of sorts. He had a wild and unfriendly go of it. He is not mad at you, but that creep who took him away from his normal day. Hes a stranger, and they all watch out for stranger. He will be fine.

Best of luck to you guys.

Joe

Oh Acappella, your doing all the right things and he will come around. It's great that he and you had the nice comfort session. I know how it feels when someone or something you love freaks out when something necessary must take place. We are as nervous and scared for them as they are.

Dorian is just plain worn out from the vet visit and is enjoying the rest and relaxation he deserves and need after that upsetting ordeal.

The good out of all this, is you did the right thing and you now have peace of mind that he is healthy and your vet now has a baseline for him. :-)

Joe, that is SO true - I remember one time Bella was horsing around with one of her toys so roughly, she was hanging off it attacking the day lights out of it and then she lost her grip and fell to the bottom of her cage. I ran over to her and snatched her up and held her close to me with her little head tucked under my chin - you wouldn't believe how fast her heart was pounding! She was really shook up!!! I didn't stop cuddling her until her heart stopped pounding and she was ready to leave my arms.

They really are just like little kids.

The vet wasn't able to trim it back as far back as he would have liked because the quick (sp?) was too close to the tip, so he'd like to trim it again in a couple of months if Dorian doesn't become able to wear it down himself, which of course is my goal. That being said, the vet didn't think it was a huge problem. His beak is growing straight, it was just getting a little long & could have started getting in his way climbing around. The apple juice was the only suggestion re: teaching him to chew. Any other ideas would be welcome!

What have you offered Dorian to chew? Nikko can't pass up a cardboard box. Set one out, and she's immediately drawn to it. She cautiously climbs in, and then goes to town chewing it to pieces.

She's also fond of grassy things, like pinatas made out of palm fronds. Recently, she's taken an interest in coconut shells too. I'd just offer Dorian a range of items and see if one of them draws his interest.

Acappella wrote:

The vet wasn't able to trim it back as far back as he would have liked because the quick (sp?) was too close to the tip, so he'd like to trim it again in a couple of months if Dorian doesn't become able to wear it down himself, which of course is my goal. That being said, the vet didn't think it was a huge problem. His beak is growing straight, it was just getting a little long & could have started getting in his way climbing around. The apple juice was the only suggestion re: teaching him to chew. Any other ideas would be welcome!

One of the things Bella LOVES to chew on is this soft wood toy that I got her at PETCO. It's like a block of soft wood, and has holes in it so she can hang on to it. She really has a go at that - chews on it many times during the day. I also have these toys made of wood that have a bell at the bottom. She likes chewing on those as well. She also has a parrot abacus in her cage made of wood and she LOVES chewing on that. So, maybe Dorian might like some wooden toys too?

My guys chew on almost anything. They did not do that at first, so I kept them in their cages until they got the idea. I traded off all kinds of stuff until they showed intrence. At first it broke my heart, but I had to be the teacher. Now these two are playing fools, and they have open cages again, going in and out when they want to.

When they get too loud, I give them empty cigarettes boxes to chew up.

Joe

I know how stressed you probably were. Once I took Gus to the vet because he cracked the tip of his beak and it needed to come off. While being worked on he was screaming and I was out in the waiting room sobbing and balling my eyes just as hard. I could hear how scared he was and it ripped my heart out. It was a wretched experience.

I feel for ya'

Yeah, the sounds he makes when he's scared just kill me. The good news here is that all is finally forgiven, although there were a couple days of him turning his back on me and tossing his food (more than usual that is) He's back to his goofy self now!