NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Pretty Please eat the Harrisons

Shamelessmuse

So I have finally started to switch Greyce to the Harrisons. She loves the bread, but so far she isn't thrilled about the pellets. When I got her she was on the Zupreem Fruit Pellets, I don't like them and I am sorry if I offend anyone...but, anything that turns your poop colors is bad news!:unsure: So, I got the small bag at the bird show this weekend. Great seller, great price...I may be addicted to shopping at the bird shows now. :lol:

Anyway, Greyce will eat them...only if she is starving and I don't bend on other foods. However, if I put 8 pellets in the bowl she will throw two down, eat three and then throw the rest down in total protest. However, I am not bending on this.

She of course gets her veggies, fruits and such...but, at diffrent times so as to encourage her to eat the Harrison's. So far the little tick is working though she is waisting a bit. I swear the animals all need to get jobs to help with buying the food. They all ran out of food this past week:pinch: over $120 to buy all of their food. Usually I am luck and they run out at diffrent times.

Muse, to help with saving her food that she throws down, could you place a tupperware under her food bowl? Like under her grat on the cage? As long as she doesnt poop in it, it might catch the pellets and save you abit!! Harrisons is expensive and its worth a try to save if you can. Like I said if she doesnt poop in it alls well right? lol!! Give it a try even if it sounds silly!! I have not tried it but Fawkes isnt a huge waster either. I think your doing the right thing here with your persistance!! She will benifit from the switch!

We received our small bag of Harrisons yesterday and now Eddie refuses to speak to me. He is well and truly sulking! I took his seeds away for now and replaced them with pellets, in his other bowl he's had fruit for brekkie and some bits of wholemeal toast today which he's eaten but just wont entertain the Harrisons. :( He's looking at me know with puppy eyes and I just know he's begging for his seeds back!! May put them back in later and try again tomorrow. I don't want him to starve!!

Hi Louise,

Instead of trying to switch him in one day, try placing a small container in his cage with just 6 or 10 Harrison's Pellets in it. He will eventually give them the touch and taste test and maybe even try cracking one. Just continue this everyday and there's no need to throw out the pellets you've put in, unless of course they get pooped on :-)

You could also take out his seeds, nuts and veggies at night and then leave only the Harrison's for him as his only option when he wakes up and he's hungry. Just stay persistent at it and sooner or later he will start eating them.

I did this process and Dayo and now He will eat a few Harrison's Pellets even when there is seed and veggie bowls in his cage. It's almost like watching a person eat a seven course meal, little bite of this, a little of that and now a splash of this etc. :-)

Anyway, it's another method to try on top of wetting with some juice, which I have heard also works at times.

• 2 weeks later...

We switched Keywe over to Harrisons...First use the adult life mash, and slowly converted over to the fine pellets. The key is to mix it with V8 juice. SHE LOVES IT!!!!! She went from begging for potato chips to begging for Harrisons, and she looks and acts healthier.

We placed a few Harrison's in Dustys food bowl and he loves them now (Thank god) we will place a small bowl to catch what we can( they are costly :( but worth it).

Here is a Question though on the back of the Harrisons is says. "It is Not necessary or recomended to supplement with vitamins or other bird or animal food products. Restrict any supplemented Oragnic fruit and veg to dark yellow meaty or dark green leafy items such as sweet potatoes,carrots,broccoli and mango (these are things Dusty Loves )

Do i have to stop these when i'm feeding Harrisons ? or can i still give him fresh veg's ( Dusty really loves fresh veg's)

• 2 months later...