NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Can I take my CAG with me on vacation? costa rica

Tunjee

I'm going to Costa Rica at the end of the month and want to take Bosco with me. They let you take cats or dogs but there's no info on birds. The Costa Rican consular in DC told me this morning that she thought probably not because of the bird flu scare but she wasnt sure and I should call back tommorrow when someone with more knowledge on the subject would be there. Anyone know the rules?

Sorry, don't know about Costa Rica...but I will say that parrots are treated much different than the more popular dogs and cats. Don't forget when you talk to them to ask about bringing your bird back into the country. Once they are out and exposed to other diseases, alot of times, the US will quarintine the birds coming back in and they have only a few quarantine stations, Miami and New York are a few. Here is the US site that you may be able to find the answer. http://www.cdc.gov/NCIDOD/DQ/faq_animal_importation.htm#petbird

My guess would be no,and it may not. be the best idea. For the exact reason's Christina said. Costa Rica is a wonderful contry, one of my favorites! However, they view pets in general much diffrent than we do. Additionally getting back into the states would probably end up in a very long quarantine for your baby

It also says that you have to pay $257.00 for the USDA vet to look at your bird...overtime charges apply if the bird arrives before or after the "vet hours". The laboratory fee for the swab is $48.00. The import permit fee is $94.00. Thats over $400 dollars JUST to get your bird BACK in the USA.<br><br>Post edited by: BMustee, at: 2008/03/07 14:17

Adds up quick dosent it. Just spoke with the embassy. The final verdict is in. No birds are allowed into Costa Rica due to the risks of avian flu. I'll have to just enjoy the birds down there, we even have our own private aviary at our rental house with a few parrots in it!