NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

premature death of parrot

rockranger

Hi guys...just looking for a bit of help regarding the premature death of my sisters African Grey.My sister had just went on holiday and left her parrot with a private professional pet watching firm.She usually left him with me but i was unable to watch him due to work commitment's. he was healthy and ate a reasonable diet,he was only 8 years old.Worried that the parrot died due to the stress of being left with strangers.

Would greatly appreciate any relevant info...

Thanks

Hi Rockranger, sorry to hear about your sisters grey.Is she having an autopsy done by an avian vet to determine the cause of death ? It may well be the shock of being left with strangers but i havent come a case before where a grey died while being looked after. had the grey met these people before ? How long was the bird there before it died ? Was the company recommended to her by anyone ?

I am so sorry to hear of the death of your sister's grey and without a necropsy to determine the cause of death she won't know what caused it, but that would be unusual for it to be because it was stressed out by leaving it with pet sitters. Not that it hasn't happened, I guess anything is possible.

Thx for replys..It had never met the people before and was pretty stressed when they left him there.It was there just over a week.My sister had contacted the company on Sat evening and they told her he had settled down,was eating and wasn`t pulling out any feathers.She then got a call on Sun to inform her that the parrot was unwell and had died on the way to the vets.

I hope the necropsy gives you some information. Sometimes they don't. My eclectus died right after christmas, and I did take him to the vet to be checked out, and she (the vet) could not ascertain for sure what had happened.

My condolences to your sister, she must be heart broken.

There could be many reasons for the sudden death. Even something as simple as being exposed to toxins such as something in the air, perfumes/air fresheners/candles,teflon, etc. Please let us know what the results are.