NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

air freshener

rationalreasonz

Ok first lets start out with my room really smells..I have a dog that has his little gate area with his wee wee pad in there and his food and stuff for the day and then the bird cage..and I think everyone can understand that when a dog uses a wee wee pad for the day in a closed room and having a bird a smell can grow. I bought a plug in oil air freshener from bath and body works and I was wondering if using this will hurt my grey. I won't use it in this room if that is the case. I can't move the dog stuff out because the only other place is the kitchen and it is really really cold in there during the day so I don't want my dog to get sick. If this air freshener is not safe what kind can I buy that is ok. I have only heard that the sprays are bad but I haven't heard anything about oils, I don't know if there is a difference. Thank you in advance for your help :)

The scents that all of those give off are bad for your birds respiratory system. Some people still use them and I had used them and candles for the last 8 years with my Quaker not knowing that it hurts them in the long run. It's a matter of yes the bird gets hurt by it, some it's instant death some it's a build up. Do you want to chance it? It's up to you when it comes to these things and only you can make that decision. But here is a link on how your birds system works.

http://people.eku.edu/ritchisong/RITCHISO/birdrespiration.html

Here is another one for you to read up on

http://www.companionparrot.com/Household%20Dangers.htm

These are just the facts, you have to use your own digression as how to get rid of what you want and don't want to take a chance with.

I hope this helps you! I know it is some reading to do, but honestly it will just better your knowledge for everything out there. If I say get rid of it than there will be some to say no it's ok, and than just the opposite, so to avoid any controversy I will just give you facts and you can go from there. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask! For this is a place to learn about our little one!!!

Thats great info Ronda!

I would personally get rid of all that nice smelling stuff!! Not worth it!!! Shane forgot once and sprayed an aerosol cologne before he left and within an hour 5 of 6 of my finches were dead!! Soo I know the risks and there is nothing of the sort in my house!

=O it's gone out the door not coming back. I love my baby way to much. I will just have to figure something else out or deal with it. I just told my boyfriend if he ever sprays his ax body spray upstairs even on the same floor as her i will throw it out. He never sprays it in the same room ever but he does it in the bathroom and its strong and the smell travels so no more nope!!! Thank you guys for your help!!

I maybe able to offer a bit of help :) I have two dogs 1 is elderly and with out very frequent baths gets that eu' de Douge smell...peew!:pinch: The little Chihuahua does go outside and on a pee pad, I just can't seem to keep up with how often she needs to go outside and I just can't get her trained to tell me when she does. I use the Nature's Miracle puppy pads and boy oh boy do they make a difference!! They have to be about a week old to smell (found that out by folding one up and putting it somewhere weird before I threw it away and of course lost it) :laugh:

Besides the wonderful Nature's Miracle pee pads (and I am the queen of things have to smell good) I use Natures Miracle spray to freshen up the doggie beds (seems to work the best). I use Febreeze on anything else fabric. I always wheel Greyce out of the room and then bring her back once it is dry. I also use pure lemongrass oil diluted in water as an air freshner...with Greyce out of the room. Additionally I keep freshly dried Eucalyptus in vases, it looks pretty, has anti microbial properties and safly leaves a nice fresh smell. I just change it out as it looses smell...I put it discards out in the garden as it can help with certain bugs.

Hope this helps you with some alternatives.:)

Wow! Thank you that sounds awesome I will try some of that. I have used natures miracle pads and for some reason my chihuahua chews the up and leaves them scattered all over the floor not sure whats going on with that. But I will get some eucalyptus that sounds really good some of the dried herbs that leave a scent. Thank you so much I never thought of that before!

I second the Muse's Nature's Miracle recommendation. I use those for my hounds when I'm gone all day and it does soak up the smells really well!

I also use Febreeze with the babies out of the room when I freshen up the fabrics in the room. I also have fresh basil in the room. I'm going to take a cue from Muse and get eucalyptus - love that stuff!

Yeh I have febreeze the pet safe one that they sell at pet smart, but I still didn't know if it was ok for the bird. I shoudl start a business making parrot safe air fresheners ;) Ones made from all natural fruit and stuff that smells good and is completely safe for all pets. If I were home all day it wouldn't be an issue because I could let the dog out and chage the pad regularly and pick up to number 2's whenever he makes them so they don't sit there,but I work all day and I don't get home until 9 or 9:30 at night so from 8am to 9pm it sits there causing a smell...and that is too long to expect the dog not to go, he has to go. But with all of the suggestions on here I think I can solve the problem. Thank you all :D