NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

rice cooker?

Tw!tch

Depends on the bird. I have some teenage birds that never learned the bad habits of people food. Just a few days a week for balance. Then I have a Grey I raised from the egg. The refrigerator door sets off mating calls. So if you want the bird to eat rice, all you have to do is nibble on some yourself. There`s a moral to this lesson, I think.

Mix rice with carrots, peas and green beans. A 500 gram Grey eats a few tablespoons. The budgies, canaries and parrotlets eats less than a teaspoon.

• 6 years later...

Found this old thread and thought I'd add an update: Nicky eats warm cooked white rice (high grade!) and loves it, although he gets SO sticky and makes his whole cage sticky too :laugh:

I think he picked the habit up from watching me eat dinner (rice is a pretty common food here) and I offered him a bit every evening before making it a regular part of his diet. Word of caution: don't offer it to your Grey unless you're prepared for a really, really, really sticky starchy mess!

I never feed my birds white rice only brownrice and varations like brown rice wild rice mixed with brown rice and I always put a ton of veggies in with it like sweet potayo, lima beans,kidney beans. carrots, broccoli,peas, and some times a little cheese that way its very nutritous and the dont get to much sticky rice everywhere my birds little heads dissapear into their bowls and don't come back out until every bit of it is gone.<br><br>Post edited by: Tycos_mom, at: 2008/08/20 16:34

Oh gosh no!! Teflon gives off fumes which are highly poisonous to birds. The rice cooker we have at home is a really, really old model (I think it's actually older than I am!) and there is NO non-stick stuff involved in it at all. Which makes it a pain to clean, but I believe the rice tastes better for all that :lol: