NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

hey

Gus

just joined gonna have mooch n find my way round then work out how to ask if anyone can help me cure bossy screeching naughty manipulating parrot (love him really but could let him out in the wild at mo)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Gus and welcome to the family, so glad you could join us and we look forward to hearing more about you and your parrot.

I assume you have a grey and that is who you are referring to when you say your parrot is bossy, screeching, naughty and manipulating, how colorful the descriptions you have for him. I take it you are having some problems with him.

No you cannot let him out in the wild even though you would like to at the moment, your parrot has got the upper hand right now and is controlling you and not the other way around. You need to reverse this trend so you have control and I believe you will have a happier household.

Take some time and read thru many of the threads for lots of useful and helpful information and do not hesitate to ask questions you may have. We will do our best to get you some answers and help you in any way we can.

If you have any pictures of your parrot you would like to share with us we would love to see it.

oh i wouldn't really let him out in the wild trust me . he's been with us 21 years , just havin probs with him at mo , my o/h works away n he has taken to screeching from fri to sunday every weekend :blink:

we tried sittin it out tonight wearing ear plugs with subtitles on tv and still ended up wheeling him into kitchen .

advise would be welcome please

You have had him for 21 years, wow that is a long time and now he is screeching from Friday to Sunday, is this because your other half is away or at home? Are you paying him enough attention but I can tell ya that rolling him out to another room is not going to help. I wish you could give us a little more information and maybe we can help you with this.

Yes, well evidently you have tons of patience if you have had him for 21 years! So good for you! Now with all the threads and all the people on here, I'm sure if you have questions some how they will be answered. I hope some can help on here to help with the screaming. Like Judy said hopefully you will give us some more information so we can help. But for now!!

Welcome!

671032669511520280208.gif

the problem only started when my o/h started working away ,sadly my beloved boxer died that week too so there was a big change at home . i don't know whether he is jealous when o/h comes at weekend or whether he is shouting at him for being away , he doesn't do this in week and o/h says lets get rid of him cause we can't go on spending weekends being ruled by crazy beaky boy !!!. would welcome any advise on this please as i love him so much but can't live like this thanks.

Welcome Gus!!

Wow!! 21 years is a very long time. Kick the o/h out and keep your Grey. :P

Since that probably won't work ;-) , make sure you spend time and pay attention to your Grey as well. If he continues to scream, perhaps you could try covering his cage to let him know that the noise making is not acceptable. Then take the cover back off after 10 or 15 minutes. If he starts again, repeat the process.

This is going to be trial and error, but I think you get the idea of letting him know that the behaviour is not good. :-)

So sorry to hear about everything going on Gus! I'm sure things will settle down before too long. Hopefully your better half will have a little more patience with your Grey. They can be annoying at times. SweetHeart hasn't gotten that way yet, but we have a Quaker that was abused before we got her and well she is just very annoying lol. And than I think we just like the hectic house cause we are getting a Goffin Cockatoo as well. And thinking of having another child! So maybe we are crazy, but if we didn't have our chaos it wouldn't be us lol. Please ask any questions and I'm sure we can try to help to our best that we can!

I can fully understand you Gus. It is too much irritating to have a screaming bird all weekend long. However perhaps with much ignoring his screaming he will grow out of it?

I am also sorry to hear about your boxer. I know boxers are such sweet dogs and I know you must miss him to pieces.

Good luck and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you :)

I don't know what to tell you Gus, you haven't changed anything lately about your appearance have you? Any kind of change will cause them to act differently, even be afraid of you. I wish I had some answers for you, I can feel your frustration.:(

no he's only done this since o/h went away that is when it started , i just need to find someone that can advise on parrot behaviour ;) we will work it out somehow , if we don't end up killin each other 1st lol

perhaps he's jealous :P he's having you for himself all week and then your o/h demands your attention as well at the weekends....

could it be that?

i have come up with a 'sort of' solution . when o/h is home i have left him in his cage , then as soon as o/h gets up he lets him out . Then i put him back again later whilst o/h out , again he lets him out when he comes home ... seems to be working ish ... he's startin to be pleasesed to see boyfriend rather than seeing him as oppostion for my attention . will keep you posted ;)

That is great Gus! That's what I do as well with hubby. I let him take her out occasionally. Glad to hear it is working better for you and your b/f! I'm sure you guys will be a happy bunch here before too long, just takes time and patience!