NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Red factor

jdr

Yes, they are becoming more and more common. There were two in a clutch born at the same time as my Greys clutch.

There are also a couple of threads on this forum with great photos of red factor Greys. You can find them by simply doing a search on "Red Factor". :-)

Thanks for the replies everyone,both the greys are the same price,she told me that one was a female,but red factor has not been sexed. Can you folks tell me what is the main difference between male,and female greys.Other than one is a boy and the other a girl:lol:

WOW I never knew such a thing existed! Some of them are just gorgeous!!

As far as the males and females, some have said that once they come into sexual maturity they chose the opposite sex. But honestly I don't know for sure, I have a 9 month female TAG and so far she is preferring me over my husband. But I know someone who has more such as Tracy could tell you for sure. She has 5 of them!

And welcome to the forum!

jdr, There really no difference in having a male or female, i have 3 boys 2 girls.I would visit the greys & pick the one that appeals to you most ;)

All African Greys have the potential to speak and imitate regardless of sex.The male tends to be slightly bigger but not always the case.If socialized correctly i believe it's a myth that a male will bond to a female human or vice versa.I have both sexes & they are equally bonded to me.Either sex ;)

Yes I have spoken to many breeders about that myth and they all say the same thing Tracy, that if they are well socialized when young that they should at least go to everyone even if they have a stronger bond with one.

As for the extra $50 that really isn't bad, but like Tracy said, if you can go and visit them and almost see which one has a bond with YOU I would go with that. I didn't get to pick nor did SweetHeart get to pick me, so we have been working on our love for 4 months now lol. I think I finally made her love me though lol. But if you can let one chose you, that is the best way to go!

She told me that she wanted to be totally honest with me about them... She said that both of them are very sweet,but she is the only one that has handled them,so she doesn't know if they would bond with all three of us (me,my wife,and my son) she thinks it might just bond with my wife,because they are bonded with a female already.I think my wife would like that,because our Macaw kind of favors me anyway. It's pretty normal for greys to pick one person anyway right? I just hope eight months is not a little to long to say with the breeder.<br><br>Post edited by: jdr, at: 2008/03/03 18:53

judygram wrote:

Eight months is a little long for a grey to stay with the breeder, its more like 4 to maybe 5 months tops. Did she tell you why she would keep them that long, they should be weaned long before that?

She just said she had those two left from the summer.I meant to ask her how she had two left, but I forgot to ask while I had her on the phone. Every other breeder I have called does not have any ready to go,they seem to sell them as fast as they get them weaned.I do know that she is hard to catch by phone that might be one reason.

Oh then that is the case then, she didn't sell them for some reason and if she is hard to catch by phone then that would explain it. Either of these two would make good choices, just go see them and see if one of them takes a fancy for you and if it does then that is the one to go with, good luck to you.:)

• 1 month later...