NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hello

jdr

Hello, I'm Joey from Alabama.MY wife and I have been thinking about getting a CAG for a long time.We are not totally new to parrots,we currently have a Severe Macaw his name is Bandit.I have been contacting several breeders,but none have any ready to go.I did find one breeder who has two babies left from the summer.My question is do you think this would be an ok way to go? or should we wait for a just weaned baby? Our Severe Macaw was about the same age when we got him,and it has worked out find. Thanks for the advice.

Post edited by: jdr, at: 2008/02/28 02:31<br><br>Post edited by: jdr, at: 2008/02/28 14:57

Hello Joey! I'm sure everyone will have a difference in opinion. But in my situation I would only get a baby that has just been weaned. I got SweetHeart when she was 6 months old and honestly I think it was just too much one on one time with the breeder and only the breeder. I have had to put allot of work into her. Which is paying off, but there are just soo many that I have read that are all cuddly and friendly to their new mommies and daddies and I missed out on that. Now there are some where they come from a re-home. And some of them work out great, they love the attention and are just very happy they are now getting some. So it's just going to vary from bird to bird and from breeder to breeder. I do know someone who will have a baby TAG ready to go at the beginning of April. She lives in Ohio and will ship. I am getting my baby Cockatoo from her. So just listen to everyone else's stories and make your own decision from there.

Glad to have you here on the forum! We will help in any way that we can! Would love to see some pics as well of your Macaw!

Hello Joey and welcome to the family, so glad you could join us and we look forward to hearing more about you and your quest for a Cag.

I would think one of the babies left from last summer would make a good choice, we have members here who have purchased one older than that and had good results. No matter the age you still have to spend time with it to bond with it.

How old is Bandit, your severe macaw? I bet he is a handsome guy, you will have to post a picture of him in the other birds room for us to admire.

Please read thru many of the threads here on various topics for lots of useful information and do not hesitate to ask questions you may have. We will do our best to get you some answers and help you in any way we can.

Thanks for all the replies,as for Bandit he is quite a character.He is 1.5 years old.He can be pretty stubborn when he wants. His ideal of playing includes biting,we have to remind him to take it easy on us.He has lots of energy,he's a real clown.He likes to hang upside down by just one little claw,that still amazes me.I have never posted pics before,but I will try to figure it out.

Welcome Joey!!

If the breeder is close enough, you should go over and interact with the young Greys and see if one picks you. If possible, that is always the best route to go. Even 12 or 16 week old Greys have preferences of whom they wish their new companion for life to be. :-)

Look forward to hearing more from you.