NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

How can you make a steady swing...

Christina

I made Finnigan a swing, this is how I did it:

I took a dowel rod and drilled a hole on each end, I put a rope through each hole, knotted at the bottom to hold it in place. I strung it up like a swing, so each rope is attached to the top of the cage. My problem is that when Finni steps on it, it seems that the dowell is very unsteady. Its not that the whole swing swings, but the dowel kind of shakes. You know how you feel if you try to stand on surf board or raft, it just wobbles under you? Like that. I tried stuffing some felt fabric in the hole to occupy any space but it didn't seem to help. I also tied one side of the swing to the cage to try to steady it but that doesn't seem to work either, not to mention, who wants a swing you can't swing on. I feel bad because I used all these different fabrics and tied them all up in strips alongs the rope, like a preening area, and have some ribbon in there strung with beads and wooden stars and I put some mega millet in the beads so she would climb on up and forage. It seems like she tries, but she wobbles back and forth until she just climbs off. Does anyone have any suggestions on steading that dowel up for her? Thanks.

Steady and swing just don't go together. lol Not sure how to stop the dowel from moving unless there is a a bird friendly glue you can shot in there to stop the moving? Just shooting in the dark here cause not sure what you mean. Can we get some pictures of the swing? Maybe that would help us figure something out.

Okay, the dowel rod rolls...I think what I need to do is hammer or screw something into the ends of the dowel and maybe use wire as well as rope to connect it to the top of the cage. After looking at swings on-line, that is how most of them do it, they have something in each end of the dowel or rod that the bird stands on so it doesn't roll.

• 2 weeks later...