NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Molting?

jimmycoop2005

I went to get Cosmo to play with him this afternoon and he was playing with one of his tail feathers that wasn't attached. I don't think he plucked it, he isn't really doing anything different. I haven't spent that much time with him the past couple of days maybe only 1-3 hours but I have always done this on school days. So nothing has changed. Is it time for him to molt or do you think he accidentally preened too hard?

Jimmy how old is Cosmo ?

have you noticed any other feathers ? Tail feathers certainly drop out during the molt,they normally start with the down feathers comimg out, followed by the smaller head feathers and nape feathers. The the wing and tail feathers are usually last.New pins will start to form which you will be able to see,They push the old feather out.Dont worry about him playing with the feather thats very normal, just check the end of the feather,if it was in tact,no visible blood then it wasnt plucked/pulled it would have come out naturally ;)

No blood, he is almost 8 months old, he has been a little bit more excited to see me(he will run back and forth on top of his cage saying Cosmo and then start lunging to get on my shoulder and sometimes he bites a little hard when he is excited so maybe he got excited and did it) and he is clumsy so who knows. Thanks for the help everyone.