NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Why do they shiver?

TerriW

Hi Everyone, I am a new grey owner and I noticed that occasionally my bird fluffs up and shivers for a few seconds. He does this in all sorts of situations, a few times a day. He does this when sitting with me or my husband, in his cage, and on his perch. I find it hard to believe he is cold. I keep him away from drafts and I keep my heat on 73, just for him. My friend has a red lored amazon and he says his bird does this too and it is normal. I was just wondering if anyone knows why they do this? Thanks, Terri<br><br>Post edited by: TerriW, at: 2008/02/26 00:56

TerriW welcome!! I have noticed the same thing and im sure its normal. I think its just a thing thye do while relazing and sitting around, Ive noticed that right after one of mine do this that they then give their featers a good shake to kind of put them back how they need to be. Im not sure the exact reasoning for it but I think I will try to do a little research on it:)

Yes I agree with everyone else. It is completely normal, I had thought the same thing when I got my little one home. I now just keep it comfortable for all of us. I have learned that as long as you are comfy your birds are comfy. I do lower my heat at night not too much. I set it to 65 at night. She does just fine. I cover her cage with a blanket at night just because of all our animals we have in the house. But it's normal don't worry! Did you introduce yourself?