NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Air Fresheners

KenB

Greys respiratory systems are more sensitive to scents than we are but some of the members use Febreeze spray but not while the bird is in the room.

Others will have more suggestions.:)

Why don't you introduce yourself in the welcome room and tell us a little about you and your grey if you have one.:)

I go the natural route. I grow lavender in the garden and I microwave it to get a blast of scent. Or I put some dried in a dish on the coffee table. Speaking of coffee, I also roast coffee beans in the oven and cinnamon sticks etc.

The best way to freshen the air I have found however, is to but the birds away and open the windows for 30 minutes or so.

You can use cinnamon sticks simmer them in a little simmer pot or a little on the stove, just be careful. And some other things you can use instead of the cinnamon sticks are orange peels or lemon peels.

And I have just found rosehups. But not sure yet how safe they are, I am doing research lol

Does anyone use those PotPourri warmers? It is all natural flowers and herbs of various scents?

I don't think the aroma or particulates come from it would be harmful. Also, on things such as candles that simply have oil scents, the only particulates put out would be the smoke of it was not burning correctly.

We have had finches for 9 years, a conure for a year and a half and Dayo for 7 months and have not noticed any respiratory consequence in moderate use.

Is it a cumulative over years, is that the issue? I haven't really been able to find any real conclusive scientific studies or evidence of this so far.

It is completely understandable why spray deodorizers are harmful due to the bad chemicals they contain that are without a doubt harmful to Parrots and even humans in high volumes.

I boil water with orange peal in it. Or I well piece an apple with a fork and leave it out.

The idea of potpurri worries me that it may be sprayed and not all natural. Unless it tells you EVERYTHING that is in it. Even then I don't use a warmer just set it out in a bowl.

I think if I had any flowers or herbs sitting around I would have to make sure they were edible and okay for fids because I'm certain my two ekkies would immediately dive in.

I have boiled water with lemon slices in it and that worked nicely, particularly in spring/summer. I have done apple slices with cinnamon sticks in the winter.

Does piercing an apple with a fork and just leaving it out really work? Do nibbles from the fids work just as well (may as well benefit from it vs. just tossing the apples).

I heard someone else will push cloves into an apple and let it sit out as well. I think my birds might try to eat the cloves though.

• 2 weeks later...

when i change the litter i use arm and hammer soda on top on the newspaper. just sprinkle a thin layer of dust on. that seems to kill the oder before there is one. i dont know if i would try this if your cage is open to your bird playing in the litter though. works good with our quaker too :)

I always keep the eucalyptus far from where it can be eaten by any of the critters. Very good point though!!

I would be careful with certain potpurri warmers, at least what herbs you use in them. Some can still be irratating. I am sensitive to a number of things, especially spicy herbs (many of which can actually be respritory irratants). Lemons, oranges and apples should be just fine though.