NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Feeding my Grey??

jwcdl

Since I am new in the Parrot I will be asking alot of questions and plus reading every post that I see on here...LOL..

My question is about Feeding. I feed my CAG (Kaytee Forti Diet Seed Mix) and (Zupreme Friut Blend).... I have tried to get him to eat Vegies that I fix for him but he will not have it, he throws it all out of the cage, but I still offer it to him anyway because I saw on one post where another one did this and then one day the CAG just started eating it..... he will occasionally eat a piece of a slice apple (No Seeds), and he does like toast (No Butter)...

My question is on the seed mix, how much do you feed them per day? I don't really know but all I can say is that Tanner's bowl never goes empty, he always has food availible, I don't know if that is good or bad, should I just continue with the way I am feeding him or just feed him a certain times of the day?? I don't want him to get too fat. I don't have any scales at the moment but I did see some that I am going to order so I can keep track of his weight.

Thanks,

Jackie

personally I would only feed him seed every other day or as a treat if you have pellets out for him all the time and feed him fresh foods of some kind everyday. If you go to my web site you will see a page called care and feeding it may help you. Just keep trying a variety of foods.

Fariy I thought seeds were food for birds? Like I said, I am new to the Parrot World and wish I had discovered this world years ago. I just placed an order on foryourbird.com for some Rowdy Bush Pellets, that was what he was on when I got him, along with Abba 1500 Parrot Seed and Zupreem Fruit Blend. What I do is keep 3 cups in his cage so he'll have whichever one he wants to eat....

Later,

Jackie

If given the choice, a bird will go for the seeds. But that is not what is best for him. If your bird was raised on pellets, by all means stick to the pellets! You can give him an occasional unshelled peanut as a treat (mine get three peanuts a day), but from a nutritional standpoint, the pellets are the way to go.

Jen

Hi, I'm also a new parrot mommy. before I got Japie, I had to do all the research on what to feed etc. (my husband insisted I become the 'guru' first) Japie is 10 weeks, I still feed him formula, but as an extra I give him all kinds of legumes. Beans and chickpeas, that kinda stuff... i cook a batch & let some sprout. He loves these. Also give him veggies fresh and the frozen kind ( I put this in microwave for a while to thaw). Good luck with your grey, I read just about any post to get as much info as posible.:)

Hi,

I haven't posted in a while, been very busy with work. I work at the Hospital and this past couple of months I have been working around 60 to 70 hrs each week, not good for me or my parrot either.

I buy my food from Beaver Creek Avariy and just put in an order which should arrive by this coming Tuesday, I ordered the Rowdy Bush Pellets which my Tanner was raised on since he started eating, until I purchased him and didn't know any better I just gave him all seed diet after running out of the pellets.

The guy from Beaver Creek called me today to confirm my order, he was extremely nice, he has a bird rescue and he gave me alot of information today on how to work with my CAG.

Tanner got mad at me the other day, I was getting ready for work and I told him I was going to work so he would get back in his cage, well he didn't want to get in his cage and wouldn't buldge from where he was perched, I held me arm out and told him to step up which normally he does, this time he wouldn't, instead he jumped down into the floor, well after he got settled down I went to stick my hand out to tell him to step up and instead of stepping out he took a bite of my hand, this time he brought blood, not alot but enough to hurt, I think my feelings were hurt more than the bite did because I am working so hard with him, also I think I did something wrong, I know when you get bite the first thing you don't do is show reaction, well I did and out of reflex I scolded him verbally, I caught myself scolding him and stopped myself right then and walked away from him as he was running to get back on his cage, he got back in his cage, I went to the bathroom to clean my wound and get ready for work, when I left I was so upset with him that I didn't even say goodbye, instead I looked at him and said "I'm going to work". The next morning when I came home I opened up his cage and feed/watered him and he got out on his top perch, I said "GoodMorning" and then I went to bed, ever since that he has had an attitude with me, when I ask him if he wants a kiss he just stares at me, before he'd lean his head down and put his beak to my lips, now he don't do that, I'm thinking that where I verbally scolded him he is not fogetting it and is holding it against me.

When I talk to my co-workers about stuff like this they look at me like I have lost my mind....LOL...except for the ones that own parrots, they are the ones that try to listen and comfort...LOL.

But all I can say is that Tanner will be in my home til either he or I dies no matter if he is a bitter the rest of his life....LOL>...

I reccomend that yall look up foryourbird.com to check the prices on their bird food.....

Later,

Jackie

jwcdl, all three of my grey's have done pretty much the same thing. Keep being nice and work through it. Just like people, after a spat, birds pout too.

Gem is notorious for mood swings. At the pet store I bought him from, he was reputed to be a biter. I think some of the staff mishandled him. As a result he has always been a challenge. I just give him "Space" when he needs it and love when he wants it.