NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Effects of Moving

Nychsa

Greetings Everyone!

Well, I just returned from a five day house hunting trip to Florida (it's not 100% yet if this move is going to happen, but it's sure getting there!).

I was unable to leave Bella and Jiggy with the breeders for boarding during this trip because they had a sick bird in the avairy. As a precaution, they were not accepting any boarding clients at this time. So... I had to leave them with a bird sitter here at home.

This was the first time I've left them for a week and was really worried. But, it looks like they are doing just fine.

Coming home, Bella gave me a welcome that I've never had from any animal companion before! She did her Tottie-Tah dance, and went absolutely nuts! She wouldn't leave my shoulder, and just snuggled and tugged at me like crazy!! Wow! That's all I can say! Today she's clearly still excited and is pasted to me. So, I think she was ok, but I think I was a little missed :laugh:

But, as it relates to the actual move, I think my biggest concern is that we're looking at a new house in in Florida - it is just being completed. There is new paint, new hardwood flooring, tile, carpeting - all stuff that creates a good deal of fumes.

The workers keep the windows are wide open, so it's enough to bother humans! I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with a new house and how long it took for the house to be safe for the babies?

I'm certainly going to talk to my vet as well, but nothing beats hearing about experience of others.

Also, moving from the mid-Atlantic region where it is quite cold right now, to a semi-tropical environment is giving me some pause too. Does anyone have experience moving the babies from one climate zone to another?

Granted, the birds don't spend any time outside and inside the temperature is usually around 70 degrees, but in Florida they'll have many opportunities to spend time in the enclosed Lanai (I'm SO looking forward to that - getting a big Java tree for them and making them a total play environment with ladders and ropes to climb around on!).

And lastely - obviously we're going be using air conditioning during the summer where the inside of the house will be around 70 degrees and the outside 90% humidity and potentially 90% and more. Taking the birds in and out would create a good deal of temperature changes. Aside from the obvious chill they'd get from being back inside - any thoughts on what other issues that might cause?

Well - I'm delighted about this potential but also anxious LOL! Isn't it always like that?

Cheers!

Terri<br><br>Post edited by: Nychsa, at: 2008/02/18 16:30

Hey Terri! Well, I am a southern girl and here in Atlanta the humidity is oppressive (and we don't get any ocean breezes) and it is hothothot!

As far as the fumes go, I would wait as long as possible after painting. I don't know how much input you have, but there are some new paints that do not put off the fumes. I am very sensitive, using paint thinner in the house can send me straight to the ER. So I always wait 3-4 days after painting before I sspend any time in a freshly painted house.

Temp wise, your babies should be fine. Make sure they always have plenty of water available and watch them. I would slowly adjust them to the heat, spenind 5 minutes in it a couple of days, 10 minutes, ect. But, being African Greys they should adjust. Now if you had polar bears...that would be another story!:)

One thing you will want to talk to your avian vet (in florida) about is west nile virus and what precautions you need to take for your area. It is something we have in Florida and Georgia (the south for the most part) and it kills birds. I have sent off a few birds I have found dead and two have come back positive. Mosquitos are the carrier for this.

Depending on your house and how you run your air, you may need a de-humidifier or not. I have to have one or the whole house gets mildew.

I hope this helps!! Let me know if you have any other questions I may be able to help you with.;)

I would wait as long as you can to let the house air out. I'm sure if the windows are being opened and I'm betting your move is still around a month away I bet it will be ok.

I live in Southwest FL, and I take my grey outside every day. He never seems to be bothered by the change from indoor and outdoor temps. One thing to remember, even when your birds are in the shade they can still overheat in the afternoon. I always keep an iced drink with me outside so Elmo and take drinks as he gets hot and wants to cool down...so keep an eye on them. Also, always check your screens. Any little hole will allow sceeters in and like Muse said they carry some nasty stuff. I always pay attention to the news because there are "chicken stations" all over the county for West Nile and other illnesses and they say on the news when a chicken tests positive and what area it was in.

Hi there Muse!

Thank you so much for the good info. Looks like if this goes down, we'll be neighbors :)

Made a note of the West Nile virus issue - great tip - thanks! Now if only we could get out of limbo land and have some decisions made on that contract, that would be wonderful :blink:

Cheers!

Terri

Hi there BMustee!

Thank you too for the great info. I hope you and Muse dont' mind if I bug you every now and then for some info on thi sbig change for us. I think the part that I'm most excited about is having a protected outdoor space for them to play in.

Cheers!

Terri

Well..... it looks like my bird sitters didn't have that easy of a time with the babies! Apparently the owner of the doggy day care, who brings my greyhounds home to eat their dinner before taking them to her place (at home!) to sleep (because they are so darn picky about everything) wanted to take care of Bella and Jiggy herself. :woohoo: Apparetnly Jiggy dive bombed her and then Bella chased her around my kitchen center island, trying to bite her feet! She finally had to call one of her employees who had bird experience to get them back into their cages!

Can you say "attack parrots"??? They're more defensive of my house then my dogs are!!!

judygram wrote:

I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall for that one, can you imagine how hilarious that would have been to watch:laugh:

Think of it like this you have a wonderful new security system, instead of beware of the dogs, its beware of the parrots:laugh:

Judy, you and I both! Kelly, the owner of the Doggy Day Care is such a sweet person, and the animals so love her. She told me Bella started to attack her feet and she stepped away saying "no Bella don't do that" and Bella continued to pursue her up until Kelly was going around in circles! What a little imp that Bella! Just goes to show you, if she can get away with it, she'll take charge of a situation!