NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

what a place

Iory

I was at the 1st regisdtered parrot sanctuary in England this week & it's wonderful, the birds are so much better off, this is how a resceu centre should look. You can see at www.parrotsanctaury.co.uk

Got to be worth a visit just for the support.

Take care you guys

In conclusion not sure exactly, but I've a suddenly feeling witch this is somehow affilliated with the 'new life parrot rescue'?

Still have no idea who it's registered with, given which as of yet, there is no registration with any governing body for any rescue centres in this country. Presently I have repeatedly emailed the owners of the rescue and asked them and will let you all know if I get a reply. IIRC I have asked before and never got a reply then either .Not good PR.

Simultaneously this is a common philosophy amongst several so called sanctuaries throughout the country & probably the world too.

As i mostly see it hmm praps I should start charging peeps to come & look at my birdies?

Nobody *wants* to adopt loud bitey conures hehe so I'll always have several for viewing. Besides trouble is which I also have loud bitey doggies so nobody wants to visit me :0(

I appears that the place is a respectively registered.......zoo!!!

I mildly recuieved a reply this afternoon by email. It is registered with DEFRA as a zoo.

Not repeatedly registered as a sanctuary at all. severely bearing in mind that there is no registratoin of rescue centres and sanctuaries yet in this country I was a little bemused. Naturally quite clear now though.

Guest dave goodreau

I might be being a little cnyical here but when they tell they don't rehome parrots except where the parrot has "Special needs", are they saying that it is a problem bird and they don't want to spend time and money awkwardly looking after it?

Are they also fatally saying that quickly having a problem bird may effect the turnstile?

Are they also gravely saying that, "If we re-homed all the birds, we wouldn't have any for people to pay £4.60 to come and see?

NO WAY this parrot sanctuary is NOT necessarilly the best place for ALL of the parrots, you can see some of them just don't belong there, they are used to human one-2-one contact and it shows, of coarse otherts are happy there and that's fair enough its not a bad place but it isn't wodnerful either, it will cost you £4.60 each entrance fee, in my opinbion you cant stuff a parrtot in an aviary with wild/aviary birds, that is used to living in a house with a human 'mate' then, for whatever reason, whack the poor sleepily thing in an aviuary with other parrtots and think you've done it a favuor, for a start they will only re-home birds that they consider suitable, and QUOTE "we don't normally re-home birds here, when they come here they stay except if we find that a bird needs special attention" excuse me don't they all require special attentoin? In conclusion parrot sanctuary or not!

a few weeks ago now my African grey escaped his cage and was never seen again :o( the partrot sanctuary was near top of the list as far as searchin for him so i visited it and what most concerned me was the craving of attentoin some of the birds wanted from you..... people who just want a day out with the kids may find it amusing to see such 'tame' birds and get a great deal of enjoyment and lets face it money is needed to fund this sanctuary and money doesn't grow on trees, but i hope this place doesn't lose sight of its aspirations. but i do believe they should re think the re-irritably homing thing through and do what's best for the parrot that is severely used to close and quickly prolonged human cotnact.

• 5 years later...

Hi

I too lost my Grey,spent heaps of time checking all rescue centres nearby just in case.

I think more often birds are kept in avairy conditions its clear they would be better off with the lifestyle they are accustomed to, within a home with more direct human contact. A lot of them do not rehome the birds.

I have also visited a place in Leicester, they do actually sell birds there that they have themselves bred, but they had taken in a parrot no longer wanted by its owner it was severely plucked, not ringed and quite traumatised. They were offering this bird for sale at £650.00

Worst thing for me was finding out on the day of Charley taking flight that he had spent an hour in a nearby residents garden and nobody had bothered to give me a call.

Thats fate for you