NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

TAG or CAG

Tari

Thanks for sharing that article Tari. Jane is a one of the leaders in they Grey world with her personal experience and research she has performed on her own.

I have read the theory before of how important the parenting role model is in the Congo Greys life. The findings by Jane in Her survey certainly seem to indicate the "trauma" a young CAG perceptually goes through being taken from it's "Breeder Mom and/or Dad" and introduced to a new flock far sooner than they would in the wild.

I sure wish a thorough study of CAG's in the wild would be under taken. It would clear up many of the issues we question each other about regarding our individual Greys behaviour.

Jane mentioned Dr. Pepperberg continuing a possible research project on wild Greys. I wonder what that foundation is doing, if anything at this time on that? I know at one point, she had sent a group of students over to study them, but that was over 2 years ago and I have not seen any articles, photos or videos of that at all.

Again, thanks for posting that!! :-)

That is a very interesting article and point of view. It makes complete sense to me. It certainly makes me wonder if the breeders kept them longer and under the learning of an adult Grey if there would really be a reduction in the number of issues people have with their CAGs.

Also, it would be good to learn some strategies that we human parronts could possibly use to help teach those things that may be missing. I have no idea how we would go about identifying what those things are and how to "teach" them, but it could change some of the things people do when they bring home just-weaned babies. Maybe even a study comparing how people raised their babies (variety of environmental aspects, communication frequency/style, physical handling frequency/style, feeding, etc.). Maybe even attempting some basic "trick" training early on would help establish the human as a "teacher" for the new baby and get that type of connection going.

I guess part of the magic of parrots is that we don't know everything...but when it comes to ensuring that we are doing everything we can to make them happy and healthy it would be nice if we did!

Thanks again for the article link. It gives some good "food for thought".

Speaking of food, I'm surprised the family hasn't been complaining about dinner yet...it's almost 7pm here! Better get something whipped up...(after a few more posts...he he he).

The breeder my Jenna (a CAG) is coming from breeds both Congos and Timneh's, and she says that in her experience there are distinct differences between the two. She says not everyone would agree, it is only her own opinion, but she says the Timnehs are more active birds, busy, playful, "in your face" birds, and are also more distractible. She says the Congos are more laid back birds with calmer temperaments. Interesting, since that seems to fly in the face of popular opinion! Anyway, I ended up being chosen by Jenna, so I will have a Congo on April 19th ~beams happily~