NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

using a hudmidifier with plucking bird- HELP

Petmom

In addition to the humidifier, you could give him a mist bath. I do it for my guys early in the day so their feathers are sure to be dry by the time they go to bed, and they enjoy it so much! I bought a new spray mister (not a recycled one that had chemicals in it at one point) and I fill it with lukewarm water. I spray it over their heads so the mist gently falls on them. They lift their wings up so that I can get every inch. Very comical!

Jen

• 3 months later...

For those using humidifiers, are you using the cool-mist type or the warm-air ones? I have a cool-mist one with the invisible vapor but there really isn't a noticeable difference in humidity, although I haven't actually checked it with a meter.

Thanks.

Guest Monique

Great advice so far. You can add aloe vera to the mist bath to help soothe the skin. Also if you have not already, a vet visit is in order to look at possible medical causes.

Judy, I find that there is not as much dust when she shakes now. And she seems to be less itchy with herself.

As far as the brand, it is a Bionaire brand. But upstairs in the room she sleeps in, I bought a warm air humidifier from the same place I bought my air cleaners from, JWR bird systems. That one is supposed to be better. I haven't been using them much in the warm weather, as I keep the windows open almost all the time. It seems pointless in the summer as it can get pretty humid here.

But I definitely saw a big difference in the winter using them. I have 3 we use, as we have a big house, one near each place Talon spends most of her time.

Thanks Penny, it gets very humid here in the summer so I use the A/C all summer, but the winters get cold and my husband likes to use the wood burning fireplace in the family room where she stays and the air can get dry. I will definitely check into it before wintertime.

B)