NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Grapefruit Seed and Air Freshners

gbdb_kcb

Hi all, it is me again....

I have been using the Grapefruit Seed with water combo to clean everything that comes in contact with my little one.

Does anyone else use this? I know this sounds odd, but the commercial industry has gotten us so used to "smelling something strong and you know it works" I dont smell anything with this formula so I am wondering... is it working?!

Does anyone know of any good natural cleansers but most importantly air fresheners that are safe for our feathered babies?

Thank you all so much for all of the help!

Mommy in the Keys,

Leigh:)

Here's what the Nutriteam website says about GSE for cleaning stuff:

GSE Household Use

Toothbrush Cleaner. Stir 5 to 10 drops of NutriBiotic into a glass of water. Submerge toothbrush for 15 minutes(or leave in between uses). Rinse toothbrush before using. Change water and remix every few days.

Vegetable/Fruit or Meat/Poultry Wash.

Sink washing: Add 30 or more drops of NutriBiotic to a sink full of cold water. Briefly soak any vegetables, fruit, meat, or poultry.

Spray washing: Add 20 or more drops of NutriBiotic to a 32 ounce pump sprayer filled with water. Spray on any vegetables, fruit, meat, or poultry.

Dish and Utensil Cleaning Additive. Add 15 to 30 drops of NutriBiotic to sink dishwashing water or to final rinse. Add 15 to 30 drops to automatic dishwasher with detergent or to final rinse.

Cutting Board Cleaner. Apply 10 to 20 drops of NutriBiotic to cutting board and work into entire board with a wet sponge or dish cloth. Leave on for at least 30 minutes. Rinse with water.

All Purpose Cleaner. Add 30 to 60 drops of NutriBiotic to any 32 ounce pump sprayer filled with water or cleanser. Use on all surfaces around the house.

And More:

Grapefruit Seed Extract is becoming the disinfectant and sanitizing agent of choice for many hospitals and clinics throughout the United States. In the laundry, GSE ensures that the linen is fungi and bacteria free. As little as 10 - 15 drops of GSE added to the final rinse does the trick.

Jerry Skidmore, C.L.M., the Manager of Laundry Operations for Florida Hospitals, wrote, "I have had 30 years experience in the laundry industry and it is only since using (GSE) that I have had the peace of mind and assurance that the patients in our hospital and the other hospitals we serve have complete protection from fungal and bacteria infections that can be associated with linen. It is very gratifying to know that even after many hours of exposure to various bacteria that are always present in hospitals, that our linen has been tested and found free of all harmful or pathogenic organisms."

Hospitals have also added GSE to their carpet shampooers. It is reported that, ten to fifteen drops in the reservoir per gallon is effective in killing Staph, Strep, Aspergillus, Salmonella and many other pathogenic organisms which are present in hospital carpets.

Grapefruit Seed Extract at higher concentrations is used for sterilizing and disinfecting operating rooms and other areas. Ordinary concentrations used equate to around 300 ppm, while operating rooms and similiar applications frequently use grapefruit seed extract at concentrations as high as 1%.

One clinic in Southern California has reportedly acquired GSE to use in their inhalators for the control of respiratory infections.

If it disinfects cutting boards and toothbrushes, I'm sure it's doing a good job cleaning.

As far as air fresheners...I have heard of people putting a pot simmering with lemon slices or cinnamon sticks and slices of apple or orange slices...etc. I haven't tried it but it seems like it could work.

There is another cleaning product that I used that is bird-safe and did have a pleasing, light scent to it...Enviroclens. It's 100% biodegradable also. It's from a company called The Bird Care Company. I had to order it from the UK I think but it's a concentrate and was worth it even with shipping. I use OxyFresh now but it doesn't have a scent at all.

http://www.allbirdproducts.com/newproductpages/EnviroClens.html

Here is another link to a decent overall bird-safe cleaning strategy...(and it has a paragraph about GSE on it)

http://www.eppa.ca/meetings/spring%20cleaning.html

Hope this helps!

Febreeze doesn't necessarily harm pets, it's just one of those rumors that go around. Here's a link to snopes (they have the inside scoop on the truth of just about everything): http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/febreze.asp

I use GSE for cleaning. Since hospitals use it, I figured it must be a pretty good germ killer :).<br><br>Post edited by: spookyhurst, at: 2008/02/17 04:31