NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

How to introduce greys to eachother

Ladybug01976

for the past while i have kept the birds seperate I introduced them to the same room they talk to eachother and imitate eachother but how to i formally introduce them to one another? i see pics of people with their greys sitting side by side but how do i get them to be like that without them hurting eachother i know it will be gradual but there has got to be a way.

In most cases you don't not unless you don't mind running to the vet when one hurts the other. It is very rare when hand raised birds get along.

I believe this has to do with not really knowing how to be a bird and not being able to get away from each other like they can in the wild cause of lack of room.

I know people say "oh but I watch them" but it only takes the blink of an eye and someone has lost a toe or beak.

Only birds I have been able to be nice to each other is my birds that were raised together. They are house in separate cages but I can still let them out at the same time without any problems.

On of our greys is bonded to me and the other to my husband. We let them out together with me watching my bird and him watching his, we did this for weeks until I was happy they wouldnt kill each other. We were both ready to rescue our bird if necessary. They still scrap from time to time, but it is usually verbal rather than physical.

Tari im sorry but i have to disagree with you, i know you think that i have been lucky with mine, but i am not the only member here with greys living happily with other birds as well as humans.Yes there is the risk of them not liking eachother,yes there is a risk they may harm each other but with patience,close supervision etc.. some birds can interact & get along outside of their cages.This may not happen in all scenarios but in my opinion it can work out out in some cases.

Ladybug01976,you have made a good start by having them caged near eachother,they are each aware of the others presence ,The only way really is to let them out together & supervise them closely say just for 10 minutes max.They will puff up & check eachother out,thats natural,if all goes well you can continue to supervise their playtimes building up the amount of time they spend together each day.

I have 3 handtamed CAG's & 1 possible wild caught CAG all living together,yes it took time on my part, but they are happy,they do not fight,they have one to one times with me & they interact together as a flock & with us humans.<br><br>Post edited by: lovemyGreys, at: 2008/02/17 16:34

Tari - Thanks for posting the warning that we all need to keep in mind. There is certainly a clear danger when trying to introduce birds outside their respective Cages. Cautious close proximity supervision is definitely called for and only for a brief time at first.

Tracy - You are certainly one of the resident experts here on this with the flock you have. Your success means the methodologies you use in introducing them in near proximity first and then eventually in the open is a working model for others to follow.

I know it took a while for Dayo and my Conure to get on a mutual understanding when interacting outside their Cages. Greys are a one species flock of birds naturally and will only accept Greys in their flock, unlike some other Parrot species that will allow many other species to flock with them. All other species are rejected and chased off. Dayo will tolerate Jake in the near proximity, but he has set up a 1 foot barrier that Jake needs to respect. If Jake crosses that safety zone. Dayo will just start walking towards him and Jake takes off :-)

I know there are many others here with two or more Greys and other species out and socializing together with out harming one another once they know the "Zone" of proximity they are allowed to maintain.

This of course varies from household to household with some even liking each other enough to preen and snuggle with each other.

"...with some even liking each other enough to preen and snuggle with each other." Only in my wildest fantasies in my house! LOL :-)

Actually, that's okay with me because I have a male and female of the same species with the intention NOT to breed so if they don't want to be within a few feet of eachother that is fine by me...less work on my part!

All of mine can be on separate playstands that are about 5 feet apart or in their cages that are all in the same room. I have one who feels she should have free reign of the house when her flight feathers come in (which seems to happen much faster than with the other two or she just is strong enough to compensage earlier). She will start to fly to another playstand and the bird on that stand will then fly down to the ground. Same for the cages. They don't fight but they puff up if they get too close. We never have them on the table or the counter at the same time.

I don't expect mine will ever be sitting on the same playstand. We can hold them at the same time but don't as they tense up and it's clear they're keeping a watch on the other and are not comfortable with it.

If you take your time it might be possible as many people have done it successfully, but then again it may not ever be the case that they can be that close together. I think like different people have different "comfort zones", so do different birds. Trying too hard to desensitize them may indeed stress some birds. I've always been more apt to just let them take it at their own pace.

Good luck to you whichever road you choose!