NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

buying a new grey 2 years old - pls advise

AAA

Hello,

I have a question for you.

as mentioned earlier . am planning to get my new grey and want some advise from you guys.

I paid for the one I lost (died) approximately 950 USD.

I can buy one for the same price (6-8 months old)

I just saw one for 1100 USD, it is two years old. it talks and plays and the guy offered to refund my money if it didn't talk at home, since I just met him in an open day event and there was so many kids and the bird wasn't welling to talk.

what do you think, is it advisable to go for two years old grey, is it too old ... can it learn more than what she/he knows until now .... what do you think.

what makes me even look at it as an option is coz it is an old one and should be stronger than the small ones and is more independent.

can you please give me your opinion.

thanks

Ahmad

I was just in this situation myself, as I bought a 10 year old CAG about a month ago. We are still getting to know eachother better, but my bird Rascal talks to me quite a bit now and is learning new words and sounds from me. Based on how far I've been able to come with a 10 year old bird in such a short time I imagine you could do as well or better.

Good luck!<br><br>Post edited by: wildmike556, at: 2008/02/15 21:14

thanks judygram, mike & Tracy ... I have been reading the threads at the Greays Forum for almost three hours and can't stop ... very informative ......... BIG LOVE to everyone help the others and exchange information

I will keep you posted :)

If you do get the 2 year old, it make take awhile for it to talk in your home. Or, it may talk the second you get it home or in the car on the way! My CAG didn't say a word for several days...but she hasn't stopped talking since then! Also, she was 12 when we got her and she has learned a TON of new things from our home and this continues...new things every week it seems.

Also, though Greys are known to be the best talkers, there are some individual birds that don't talk at all for whatever reason. It is possible if you get a baby that he/she won't talk. If talking is that important to you, you should definitely get an adult that is a proven talker.

That said, my CAG talks, my female Ekkie talks periodically and my male Ekkie has never said a word. They are all wonderful and though the talking is fun, it's just a tiny, tiny part of what makes them such great companions.

Lisa

I recently adopted a four year old CAG named Fawkes, she has been with me for exactly one week today and she is wonderful!!! I have several videos of her talking on youtube, she loves to be with us and well basically just loves life!!! She has learned a couple new things already since being here too!!! Good luck with your decision!

I just recently adopted 2 adult african greys one that is 8 and the other that is 20 and my 8 yr old isn't much of a talker but the 20 yr old grey man he imitates and learns new sounds and words daily he is so eager to learn.I think it was the best thing I ever did although I would adore a baby I am more prone to adopting "adult" I think it is all personal preference really.

Yeah, if you get an older grey who's a talker you will learn lots about it's life before it joined your family. Dorian came from a pet store and still answers the phone 'Hello Chew Choos' sometimes, still says 'settle' (owner was a dog trainer) speaks in previous owner's voice etc. . . It's like having a whole group of people move into your house. Luckily for me, in his previous home they were very careful of their language around him, though 'boobies' isn't bad at all. The parrot at the nursing home in town here swears like a sailor:laugh:

I keep waiting on my Grey...she came from a home where she grew up for 6 prior years with two teenagers who certainly didn't watch their language when I was over there much...

The worst she's said so far is "What the hell?". My 9 year old daughter looked at her and then looked at me to see what I was going to do with the bird who just said a "bad word". I told her we have to ignore them altogether. I'm sure she was thinking that she hopes I do the same with her if she ever says one! :-)

I'm sure she'll let out the F-word at the worst point possible at some point in future years, like when my daughter's future in-laws come over to meet us in 15-20 years to meet us...yep, that'd be the time! :blush:

If I ever raise my voice to the kids Kenya goes into a major tirade that can last more than a minute...she's apparently been party to some major argumentative environments in the past. The good thing about it is immediately lightens the mood and we all start laughing. You can't really understand any of the words but it's clear that it's at least two people engaged in heated "discussion"!

So back to Ahmed...I can't wait to see what you decide to do!

Lisa

Interesting Stuff … :lol:

a. The bird I saw earlier was sold for someone else (it was displayed in one of the shops) Good luck to the new owner! B)

b. In four days, they will try to get me a nice bird as they claim! (less than a year old) Lets wait …… this time am not in a hurry … I will wait to find the right companion.

c. I saw a bird dyeing (almost same age of the one I had) in stages in almost 40 minutes from another shop’s window. At first it was fine and playing around, but I was in the bird market (many shops) looking at other birds and noticed that they put a lamp in his cage and was interested to discover why they do this (I guess it is to make the cage warm). Then it was slowly getting sick and was like a drunken person moving its head up and down. The shop was closed and I was in other shop when the shop man arrived and got rid of the bird. After couple of minutes I came and asked him where the bird that was in this cage … he says it was sick and just died. Here is the most important part.

:evil: :evil: :evil:

The breeder is the same (where I bought my x- bird – he owns couple of shops in this market). This incident made me asking and making my own investigation. The shop man says that it was small that’s why it died! I told him you must have given it medicine, you just lost 1000$ ;)

Guys, my x-bird has the same age, and from the same breeder …. If mine died coz of lack of experience from my side, then how come the one was in the shop died too... when it has all the experts around it all the time? and the cage was warm ….. !

What do you think ………….. ! (Wanted to share my findings with you guys – thought it might be helpful) I noticed on this form that the more you share with people and go into details the more everyone benefits.

However, I am now more convinced to buy an aged CAG but from a good owner who behave with the bird ….. he he he![/b][/b]

Ahmad - I think there is a strong likelihood that there was something wrong with your bird that had nothing at all to do with your inexperience. It just seems like too much coincidence. If I were you I would certainly steer clear of that particular breeder!

There are really good breeders though and if you do decide to get a baby then you have some more knowledge now than you did and may be able to ask more questions, talk to people who recently got babies from them, etc.

I'm always partial to the older birds who are in need of new homes, but that's just personal preference for me. There are a lot of people who do the right things and treat their birds well but just have to find a new home for some reason. Usually they have the bird's best interest in mind. The worst issue I had with mine was that she wasn't on the greatest diet when she came into our family but that's changeable.

There are great birds out there needing homes and if you're not in a hurry and that's the path you choose to take, you and your perfect feathered companion will find eachother!

You may be able to check with local bird rescue organizations if you have them by you. They often have the birds in foster homes so you can talk to the people living with them and get a true read on them (they are very honest with the goods and the bads because they don't want to see the bird have to come back and find yet another home). Hopefully you have a resource like that in your area.

Best of luck to you. You've been through a lot and deserve to find happiness with a feathered friend!

I'm with Lisa on this. There is a disease in that Breeders environment that is killing these poor Greys. If possible, I would report them to your local animal control office to get this stopped.

As Lisa said, spend some time and find a Breeder with a Great reputation and healthy birds.

I am sorry this happened to you. I know you were excited about getting the CAG you were looking at.