NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Molting Question??

jwcdl

Okay, I have posted before that I am new to the Parrot World. So I am going to ask this stupid Question. What is Molting? LOL... I am sorry for sounding so dumb but hey, I am new...LOL. I am sure it is where they start to loose their feather's but actually I really don't know. My CAG is around 18 months old.

Once someone tells me what 'Molting' is, can you also tell me what age they do this and how often...>LOL

Thanks

Jackie

Hi Jacki,

Yes, that's when they lose their feathers and will start growing new feathers. With African Greys that's usually in August/September for their major molt and they also have a minor molt during January/February, but then it might depend on the climate you are living in. I've heard stories of AG's starting to molt already at the age of 9 months.....

• 8 months later...

Hi all,

My AG is Kirby, a 10 year old male. Unlike other birds that my mom owned, I have never seen him molt other than a few (maybe 10 -15) small feathers for a week at a time.

He is healthy and pretty happy. I am just wondering if other AG's have this kind of minimal mote.

thanks,

Jim