NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Terrible Twos??

HeatherStrella

Harrison is a 2 year old female CAG. We've had her since she was 3 months old. She turned 2 last December. She's got a quite extensive vocabulary and was talking when we brought her home...we thought she was male...etc etc..most people know the story. Anyway, she's really been acting strange this past week. When she's out on her stand in the living room and I have to move her for whatever reason, she lunges at me and bites. There are sometimes when she'll actually get on my hand and bite very hard several times, she doesn't hold on but for a fraction of a second then she's off to another part of my hand. Then there are times when she's perfectly fine. She's happy to step up, she's happy to do whatever. It could be a second later or an hour later. My main question is how should I react when she bites me? My knee-jerk reaction is to kinda flick my hand cuz it hurts so bad. It makes her unstable on my hand and it makes her stop biting until I can get her to a place to step down. She has broken the skin a few times but mostly she doesn't...it just hurts and bruises the ego. Any suggestions?? Thanks

P.S. Would it be bad if I just left her in her cage for a day? Maybe she just needs a break from me???<br><br>Post edited by: HeatherStrella, at: 2008/02/11 02:21

Hi Heather,

Dont show any reaction when harrison bites just a very firm NO in a stern voice & return her to the cage or playstand for a few minutes at a time.If you react then this shows her she is getting a response & she will continue to bite, No response shows her that she gains nothing from it,you are in control & not her.;)

Heather, I would imagine that at 2 years of age she is becoming more independent and is testing her boundaries by seeing what you will allow her to do. Do as Tracy suggests and I think you will come thru with flying colors. My Josey has always been very cooperative so far but I know my days are numbered and she is going to test me too, but I know what to do now.:P

Hi there Heather,

My understanding is Parrots can read facial expressions quite easily, and of course they are very intelligent and can understand what we teach them as well!

When Bella gave my vet a warning bite, he held her at eye's level, and made a sad face and said "no bite!". You could see her little wheels turning in her head processing the information - when she's thinking about something she cocks her head and mumbles to herself LOL! That command was familiar to her as the breeders taught them "no bite" in the same manner, holding the baby at eye level and saying "no bite", so she "got it" when the vet did the same thing.

So, if I were you, I would give something like that a try. I'm a big fan of communications with animals - all the information we're getting these days seems to indicate they understand FAR more then we think, and I'm betting if we don't let them know what is undesirable, they're going to act like a terrible two!

Bella is REALLY spoiling me with her ability to understand things so quickly. Sometimes I feel we have a mind meld going on, she picks up so quickly what I want. It's no wonder when I'm down with allergies, she picks up on that immediately too and just wants to sit with me as if she's trying to console me. She has to be picking that up from my body language and my facial experessions. I try to speak normally to her when I'm not feeling well, but she's doing more then just listening to me.

I love my dogs dearly, but Bella has the dogs beat by miles when it comes down to learning things (sssshhhhh let's not tell the dogs a baby has them beat! :) !). So, I think it is well within their capacity to learn not to bite if we tell them it's undesirable.

Cheers!

Terri

I think Harrison might be molting. We had a long talk last night...I'm with you, Nychsa, I talk to her as if she understands everything I'm saying. I have said "don't bite" but stopped because she started saying it after she bit me. Little turkey (she says that now too)...Thank you all for the comments. I will try not to jerk my hand...and just go with a stern "no" like you suggested and talk to her after a bit.

I remember when we first got her, she all of a sudden stopped eating her pellets. It really scared me and so I just decided to talk to her. I chatted with her about it and I told her how she needed to eat, blah, blah, blah...and she did within 24 hours. It was probably coincidence...who knows.

Thanks so much for your comments. I'll keep you guys posted

Ouch, I feel your pain Heather. The others have all given great advice. Does she enjoy her play-stand so much that maybe she just does not want to move yet? I have found as Dayo is maturing that he has started to bite to let me or Kim know he's doesn't want to. We have really been paying close attention to his body language and movements if we know he is in or on a play area he loves when we go to move him.

Of course, if it is necessary for him to move, we just do it and take a "Hit" and move him anyway. But, as the others have said, we always look at him sternly and just say "No Bite".

I have gotten now to where if his body language tells me I'm going to get a bite, I just ball my hand up tight before going in to the "Fist of Iron" and bending the wrist. Then I just keep on pushing until he has no choice except to step up.

I should note, that I only do this IF I really need to move him somewhere else. I figure that way he knows I respect his wishes if there is not real reason to move him, other than I just want to play with him a while. :-)

I think it sounds like Harrison is being kind of territorial. Try moving her around to some different locations in your house to keep her on her toes. I sometimes slightly jerk my hand too out of a reflex response if my bird bites my hand he's standing on- it always seems to make him stop biting and I also say NO or DON'T BITE, and give a dirty look. I tried the whole no response thing but when he's clamped down it's too hard to do that! I wouldn't recommend leaving her alone in her cage for a day- she needs your attention and to know that you love her no matter what. If anything this might make her even more mad. Just try to be patient and work through this- my bird has his onery moments too and you just have to keep working and keep loving them. Good luck Heather!

Hi there Heather. I have two greys that will be two in June. I know exactly what you are going through as my two are nippy at the momment. I do not responed and return the culprit to the cage for a few minutes.

I went through this stages with Chloe and she did not pass through it until she was over 3 years old.

What I tell myself is that this phase will pass and things will get better.

Talon is 2 years and 4 months old. So, We are experiencing the terrible twos. If you read their body language and respect their space, it will pass pretty smoothly. But know that there are good days, and bad days. They do get moody, and try to assert their independence on occasion. :pinch:

Thank you all for your comments. I'm reinforcing her when she doesn't bite me by giving her a nibble of something she likes. If I see body language like danmcq said, I just wait to move her if I can. There's another thing. A few weeks ago, we decided to let the dog in the same room as long as Harrison was on her stand. Everything seemed to be going smoothly...a few times we had to remove the dog if Harrison got spooked or lost her footing and flew to the floor. Harrison really didn't seem to pay any attention to Sandy (the dog). Right now, we're testing it to see if she bites with Sandy out of the room and then we'll try it with Sandy in the room. Maybe Sandy does bother her and I'm just blind to her body language.

I'll let you know how things go...thanks so much for your input!!

• 1 month later...

I just did a search on this dreaded topic because I think I am just about there with Liath too. This past week she can be a different bird sometimes. Most of the time she loves me dearly, gives me kisses and demands cuddles. But sometimes - usually in the evening she is a walking (or should I say flying) demon. In the evenings I like to watch TV and Liath and Oisin always sit with me. The past few nights she will bite for no reason, even if Oisin is on the stand or the other sofa. I usually move her away from me, but each evening I have ended up putting her back in her cage. She makes a run for me and bites, even if I am ignorning her, so it isnt something I am doing.

Its almost like where she used to get my attention by calling me, now she gets it by biting me :(

The other thing she is doing now is Squealing... she screams Ow over and over really loudly so we cant hear the television. All attention HAS to be on her! Oh and she flies and swoops on my kids heads and it HURTS!

Heather are you still struggling ? Has anybody come out the other side with both you and your grey still intact???

Hi siobhan,It sounds as if Liath has hit that stage where she is trying to find an an outlet for those newly discovered hormones. unexplained mood changes, occasional screaming along with the nipping.As with toddlers, continue to praise her good behaviour & ignore the negative.Hang in there,your get through it ;)

I am trying.... but so is she - really trying to drive me mad :side:

How long does this last? Will she be "normal" again before Oisin starts this madness. He is exactly one year younger than her.

Luckily so far today she loves me! Wait till this evening when I turn the tv on!!!