NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hello!

Lysis

Hi,

I have been reading posts on this forum for the past few months and have decided to join! It seems that Grey owners are very informed about their birds and I've learned much more from this forum than other ones. I have to admit, though, that I do not have a Grey, but I have a 23 year-old Yellow-Naped female amazon who I think was a Grey in her past life.

She's intelligent, somewhat timid and cautious and is not the party animal people portray amazons to be. I'm working on getting her used to a larger cage and new environment (I had been separated from her because of school, etc, but I've had her most of her life). I'm also trying to figure out how I can help her enjoy bathing more. In addition, I am tackling changing her diet. She apparently has something against anything that is green, orange, or yellow (unless it's a sweet potato).

Since I've "reclaimed" her after being away, I've found that she really enjoys mechanical toys and plastic (not so much wood). I've also found that she tends to go to "bed" in a calm mood if I simulate dusk, i.e. dim the light and give her enough time to eat and get in the mood to sleep.

Anyway, I hope you all don't mind having an amazon owner here, but I feel that my bird has much more in common with a Grey compared to other Amazons.

Liz

Hello Liz and welcome to the family, glad you could join us and no you do not need to own a grey to be a part of this forum.

So you think your yellow naped amazon is more like a grey, from what you describe you may be right, sounds like some of the characteristics you mention are more like that of greys. Probably a lot of the advice will apply to your amazon as well as to greys.

So with that said, please read thru the many threads on various topics for lots of useful information, ask questions you may have. We do our best to get some answers for you and help you in any way we can.

If you have some pictures you would like to share with us we would love to see her. We do have an other birds section.

Thank you! I hope I can share my experiences. I have always been a bird lover. Started out as a child raising canaries and then upgraded to parrots. I remember the times when there were hardly any toys (a bell and a Lava rock) for parrots, when Lafebers came out with Nutriberries, and when a 18" x 18" cage was considered adequate for a parrot.

After being away from my bird for over 8 years (I would come home on and off on vacation), I have settled down enough to provide a good environment for her.

I guess I tried to make up for all those years, so I bought her a nice stainless steel cage by Expandable Habitats and many toys. I discovered that she could spend all day on toys that are meant to be disassembled like the Lucky Bird treasure chest and wiffle balls with pacifiers.

Everyday, I look forward to coming home and seeing her.

Yes Lysis welcome to the family! Hope to see some pics soon! You'll learn your way around and see how we are all family here. Like myself, I have a Quaker and will shortly be getting a Goffin Cockatoo and we also own SweetHeart a TAG.

But again welcome to the forum!