NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

time spent with your parrot

Guest oqy

Guest miss_mougdoo

Hey, at least you've the continent right :). Your sennie is beauytiful!

All in all too bad the senmegal group is not more active...

I love the poicehps also and have a Meyer's and a red-respectively belied. (8 of my 14 parrots are africans of one sort or another - just one grey though.)

I spend almost all day everyday with my birds. That doesn't mean they are on me, but they are out of the cages and in the same room with me. If I go to put away laundry or something I just tell them I will be back. I do not respond if the U2 screams, but I will whistle or talk back if they are just making "contact" calls. If I am going to the store or the barn, I tell them that also and they know that means it is time to go in their cages. Many times they just climb in by themselves and the Grey will even shut the door.

I don't know how much they understand, but I always explain where I am going and for how long. Dusty's usual answer is, "O.K., see you later."

I can handle almost anything but snakes...well maybe spiders goes in the same catagory....ABSOULTY NOT... :D But my bird list is growing.....

7 cockatiels, 4 parakeets, and the latest addition...2 harqueline macaws.and these guys make my temi look like a baby in the bitting area. :shock: :D

yep... I have a old school house that i have my shop in. www.acountrytreasure.com go to the about us page to see the shop. we have 6400 sq.ft in the whole p-lace and it is full.lolol..my work area

is a 24'x32' class room my walk in cooler, or what was going to be my walk in cooler area is now my birds area. 10'x12' that is where the grey's live and the macaws. in separate cages of course. the cocktaiels and parakeets live in a cage my husband and i built. 2'widex6'longx7'high. we have 4 nesting boxes built in the end and it is great... there are 4 doors on it all together and makes cleaning a breeze.

Hi there, I have a bird shop in the Gulf Breeze FL and right now, I have five Congos that have been weaned for a month or more. Of course, they are all making cute sounds, but I haven't personally heard many of them say much of anything other than their ramblings as they nap midday. BUT, yesterday, I offered my hand to one of them to set up, and he/she pleasantly surprised me with "Let's Go!" I was shocked! I have no idea from who/where he heard that! Since, he is talking now...to my face and not behind my back...I want to build on it...what is the BEST way?

My CAG is out of his huge cage when ever I am home. I work out of my home, so that is a lot of hours. Often he hears me in another room and comes to find me ... with a big "hello" when he does. He tries to climb up my clothing if I don't pick him up right away. This scares me as I think he might bite through my clothing and get some skin! Anyway, I try to get him to stay on my shoulder but he inevitably climbs up onto my head. Of course I know that birds want to be at the highest perch they can find ... but when he goes to the loo it is not a pleasent experience!!! :lol: ... whereas I can at least cover my shoulder with a towel. He would spend all day on my head if he could preening (and pulling out) my hair! Any suggestions on how to get him to stay on my shoulder? He is 10 months old and has been in my care since three months.

Good to hear from you! I have grown so attached to the grey I mentioned in my post that I have named her/him Vogue. I would love to bring Vogue home to be with me as you have yours; but I spend most of my days at my shop, so most of my birds stay there. It's almost like a home anyway, with all the playstands/java trees, furniture, TV, computer, etc. This shop is my "retirement job"; I was a respiratory therapist for years...So, when I retire from my "retirement job" and sell the shop...I plan to have a house full of my best little buddies to keep me company in REAL retirement. Thing are getting real busy around here with Christmas...the shop stays packed! I wish you and yours a ver Merry Christmas!

Linda Montague

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Kip is usually out for 1-2 hrs in the morning as we have breakfast/get ready for work. Then in the evenings she is usually out for 3-4 hours during dinner time and TV watching! I try and have her participate in most activities around the house.

Talon is out the whole day unless I have to go out, then she goes in her playcage with nick jr. on or a couple of bird dvd's. But it is never for more than 2-3 hours.

Good topic!! Very interesting to see how others handle working and such.

Ceasar comes out when we get up in the morning. He goes to his play tree for breakfast. We then take him in the car and go for Starbucks. This is everyday. When we return he gets the Starbuck coffee cup lid to chew up. From this point on it depends if Anna is staying home or going out. If someone is home Ceasar is on his playTree. When I get home Ceasar is out on his playtree all the way up till bedtime. That could be 10 or 11 PM for him. So all in all I would say Ceasar is out of his cage way more then he is in it..

I'm around my bird, Buzz, all day everyday. During that time I leave the top of his cage open so that he is free to do what he likes. I have placed his cage close to the lounge room, centrally located, so that he can always see me as I go about my daily chores. He loves alot of attention and where he is I am able to talk to him constantly and teach him new words.

If it happens that I do have to go away for the whole day I will always leave the TV on for him so that he has something to listen too as well as to play with his toys in the cage.

• 8 months later...

My TAG sometimes gets to come to work with me (when it isn't too cold outside). Otherwise, I have him out for an hour in the morning to eat his glop while I get ready for work. Then, I come home at lunchtime and make lunch for both of us and he's out another hour. Once I am home for the evening (around 5:00) he's out for the rest of the night until bedtime unless he just wants to go inside and rest for a bit. All in all he's out quite a bit. He spends those times either playing on the playstand on top of his cage or on a table playing in my kitchen. I'd like to get a play tree but haven't come up with the money for it yet. He likes to be within my sight at all times if possible. I also tell him where I'm going when I leave the room and "I'll be right back" if I will or "Bye Bye" if I'm going to be a while. I'm sure he understands what I'm telling him, even if he doesn't like it.

My birds are out for about an hour in the morning as my husband gets the boys ready for school (I'm at work at 6:00 am so I'm not there in the morning). They come out again sometime between 12 noon and 5 pm (depending on the day) and they stay out until I go to bed or until I get too overwhelmed with them constantly following me and wanting to be with me when I have a lot to do. I play calling games with them if I'm in another room and sometimes they fly down to the floor to come find me.

Ny greys and amazons have their own room which we have decked out with ropes, balls,toys etc. Their cages are open all day even when we are at work.I have insured that all electrical cords etc. are hidden. the amazons are not as active as the greys so they do not have as many things to do around their cages. Mostly they just chew wood! I have a door on the room of course with glass panes so they can see out.They have full specrum lighting. Everybirdie gets along. they are out from 7:30 till bedtime. I work 6 hours a day/4 days a week so this room is a godsend. When I get home, they come out on their play stands or down in the kitchen with me.

I have many smaller birds in another room. They all have different needs and some can't be out while others are etc,. so we play musical out time mornings and evenings.

• 2 months later...
Guest Skuffy

B) Max is out from when i get up..7-730am..Make a coffee put Max on his Breakfast Bar in the living room while i sort his Cage and breakfast out...Feed him around 9am everyday..Toast/scrambbled:P eggs with a side of fresh fruit..Apple/grapes/org/pear/.He has a dish of fresh nuts aswell...Dinner he just picks off my plate w/e i have..plus fresh fruis..Strawberry:cheer: /grapefruit/Org...Then he takes himself in his cage for a sleep....Kids come home(cage still open)from school..Evening meal time...He sits on his breakfast bar with us to eat...Pasta/fresh apple/small amout cheese/Colli/Broc/peas...Fresh fruit....all this is in small amounts so he can choose..He has a sleep till the soaps come on Tv then he starts....Out he comes shouting Hello..Peep-oh...Play time then..

he will then climb on-off my chair all night till i go to be about 1-2am...Think i should put him to bed earlyer...? I tryed,,,cover him up,,,just finds a gap and says Peep-oh.....hahahahaha ??????:woohoo: