NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Can an older Grey learn more words?

HI, everyone. I'm a bird-lover with an aviary of about 35 finches, canaries, button quail, diamond doves. My husband and I have experience with parrots, having had an umbrella cockatoo years ago, plus cockatiels, 'keets, and lovebirds. We were introduced to someone who has an african grey to give away. We went to meet him today, and he's an absolute DOLL! He can talk, though we didn't hear all his vocabulary. The thing that stood out was that he immediately bent to have his head scratched, he explored our fingers with his beak but never bit down, and he honored us by regurgitating! Naturally, we fell in love. He's sweet, playful, friendly, and even tried to roll on his back when my husband was petting him (but forgot to let go with one leg so didn't get all the way over on his back). The current owners have had him for 19 years but with kids, schedules, etc., have not had the time to spend with him and two other parrots they have. They still talk to them, keep their cages clean, etc., but she said this bird hasn't been out of his cage in quite a while. However, when we let him out he sat nicely on the cage top, and eventually even got on our hands. It's obvious that he's a well-trained, very friendly and very healthy bird. We feel confident about getting him, as we have had a lot of bird experience. I'm just wondering if anyone out there knows if an older grey can still learn new words? That doesn't really play into whether or not we'll get him, but I'm just curious. This would be our first real "talking" bird. Thanks for any information you can give me. We plan to make a final decision in the morning after we "sleep" on it -- we know that having a parrot is a big commitment.

Denise in North Carolina

Greetings aslterp59,

Each bird is of course different in talking ability etc. There are absolutely some members here with birds over 15 years that report them still learning/saying new words all the time. It is generally accepted that grey can continue to learn and use words their entire life. If you have a talker (which it sounds like this one may be), chances are he will continue to use/learn words depending on the environment and interaction he is given. The more interaction he gets, the more talking and learning he will do. Sounds like a nice grey that has been well cared for but can use some extra attention. If you decide to go for rehoming, make sure you are commited. They are truly life long companions and a move can be stressful for them.

Keep us posted! B)

Hello Denise and welcome to the family, glad you could join us and we look forward to hearing more about you and this new to you grey.

Oh yes I believe they can continue to learn new words no matter how old they are especially if they already talk and coming to live with new owners he will be exposed to new words and phrases.

I am amazed that he was so accepting of new people and he may have sensed that you are bird lovers, I think a lot of animals have a sense about that.

He sounds like he is an offer you can't refuse if you know what you are getting into, greys do need a certain amount of personal attention and out of cage time. From what you have told us he sounds to be well adjusted and healthy and I hope if you do get him the move to a new home does not stress him out.

Please read thru the many threads on various topics for lots of useful information and don't hesitate to ask questions if you have any, we do our best to get some answers and we will help you in any way we can.

If you take some pictures please consider sharing some with us we would love to see him.

Thank you for such quick replies!! We know what a huge commitment a parrot is, which is why we're "sleeping on it" tonight. It's encouraging to hear that he could continue to learn new words.

We were AMAZED at how friendly he was, how sweet and gentle. If we decide on him, he would be in a place in the house where he's have plenty of interaction (another consideration -- where to put the large cage?!?!). Lots to think about -- we realize that it is a long-term commitment.

I'm so excited -- I hope hubby agrees to him! His name is Sammy (the bird, not my husband, LOL). If we get him, I'll take some pictures.

Thanks again for the great, quick replies!!

Denise in NC

Yes he needs to be where the rest of the family is and in the center of it all, they like to be with their flock so to speak.

I know if I was in your shoes I would go for him in a second and hubby would just have to go along whether or not he wants to:laugh: but you do what your heart tells you to do.:)

Hi Denise, and welcome to our family! He sounds like a lovely bird. He will learn to talk as long as he lives providing he has family interaction through out his life. Sounds like you already have your mind made up! :cheer: I hope you both decide on taking him. It seems like you understand the commitment involved. Please let us know what you decide, and we look forward to seeing pictures, and hearing all about him!!:)

Welcome Denise!!

Sammy sounds wonderful and seems to have taken to you and your husband very well. He probably enjoyed being out of the cage once again and the actual human touch again.

It's too bad that after 19 years, they could not find the time and commitment to continue that loving relationship with Sammy, but it's good that you are their to provide a new loving home to him.

Looking forward to hearing more and seeing some photos when you get a chance. :-)

Well, we've decided to get Sammy and we'll be picking him up tomorrow after church. I'm so excited I can hardly sit still! Will let you all know how he adjusts, gets some pictures, etc.

Thanks again for all your awesome input! I'm looking forward to getting into some of the other threads of this forum to learn more.

Denise in NC

aslterp59

Congrats on deciding to take Sammy and I know you will provide him with an excellent home because you sound committed to this adoption, how wonderful for Sammy, he does not know how lucky he is. You will not sleep much tonight I think, it will be kind of like Christmas morning.:)

I look forward to hearing the details of his homecoming and seeing some pictures of him.

Yes please do take part in any aspect of this forum, we encourage participation, you will learn so much and you can share what you know with the rest of us.

I found a website for making your own parrot toys and I can't wait to make him toys and treats -- for cheap! Wow, pet stores cost a fortune for things you can make yourself for pennies, or for tree branches, which I can get from our 2-acre woods behind the house (I know about the poisonous ones, I use real branches for the aviary also). Here's another strange question that I bet someone here can answer -- I just don't remember. I found myself looking into Sammy's eyes yesterday, but it occurred to me that some animals see a direct eyegaze as intimidating. Horses, dogs, etc., do, and I try to respect that with our horses and dog. Do birds see that as predator-like? I don't remember from having a cockatoo years and years ago.

This forum is wonderful, I really appreciate all the replies and encouragement! I can't wait to share some pictures. I KNOW I won't want to go back to church tomorrow night, but alas, I'll have to because I teach a class...... :)

I agree bird toys are very expensive and a lot of them can be made for very little if you just know where to get the supplies you need.

I don't think you should stare directly into their eyes but they are not quite like dogs and such that take that as intimidation, in fact if you do look them in the eyes blink and see if they will blink back at ya.

I can read your excitement and you won't want to leave the house now that you will have him there but enjoy him and be sure to share some pictures.:P

Hi Denise,

It sounds like your excitement has gone up a few bars. :-) With your resources from 2 acres and ideas, your new Grey is going to have many great toys, tree stands and shredding in the next few days I suspect.

I haven't found Dayo to be at all intimidated by looking directly into his eyes. I do know, that if mutual trust and a good relationship is not yet established, a long stare could cause fear on their side, as with all animals or birds. As Judy said, blinking indicates to them that your not scoping out prey, but just giving them a friendly stare that is not seen as a threat.

Looking forward to hearing updates as you have time and some photos. :-)

WOW, I'm excited. I'm ready for church, trying to concentrate on what I should, but there are feathers in the back of my mind constantly.... As soon as church is over, we're off to pick up Sammy, then home to get him settled. I'm sure we'll eat lunch, it's cooking in the crock pot. But at this point I really don't care. LOL. Thank you thank you thank you, all you who have replied to my questions, and for your encouragement. I'll be posting again soon with updates on how he's adjusting and so on.

Time to go.... the hour of Sammie approacheth....

Well, Sammy is home and already entertaining us with sounds and words. He made the kissing/calling noise when the dog entered the room. He occasionally asks me "what color?" in both male and female voices... He wasn't crazy about the ride home, but he did fine. He's a little jumpy, but overall he's doing great. I know it will take some time for him to relax, but I think we're off to a good start! Will give updates soon!

Denise, just give him some time and he will settle in very nicely, thats great that he has been vocal already. I know that this is the beginning of a long and lasting relationship, you will reap great rewards for your efforts and I look forward to hearing all the stories you will have to tell us about the new adventures of Sammy.B)

Thanks for letting us know he is home and doing great.:P

Well, Sammy is already talking to us quite a bit. A lot we can understand, some are mumbled words that we can't make out. But he's had us in stitches already! He says, "You wanna jellybean? What's wrong?! What color? Whatcha doing? awwwww, Hi Buddy, pretty bird, Why? What? What stinks here? Mom! I know..." He just said, "Want company?" Last night as we were leaving for church (kicking and screaming, ha ha), he said, "Sambo!" So we know that was his real name. Funny thing is that it was in a woman's voice, and with kind of a sigh after it -- like someone had said that in exasperation a few times!

He says some things in a woman's voice, some in a man's. He's talking up a storm right now, but we can't understand everything. And he makes several noises including dripping water (????), a gulping sound when I was drinking a sip of coffee, a burp, a cluck, wolf whistle, smack (like calling the dog), laughs just like me, and a few conure noises. Yesterday my daughter had a 'conversation' with him: She walked into the room and he said, "What color?" She said, "I'm wearing blue." He said, "I know (wolf whistle)." It was at that point that daughter fell totally in love with him!

He startles at different new noises, as we'd expect, but I'm amazed at how much he's talking to us already. He had one weird habit -- he wanted us to scratch his head (would lay his head near the cage bars or put it up against the cage), but when we'd try to scratch him, he'd turn his head every which way and then kind of push us different ways with his beak. We couldn't really scratch him and he'd get frustrated. But last night my hubby worked with him for like 3 minutes, and now he'll keep his head still for a nice scratching. SMART BIRD!!!

We're enamored!

We have to change his cage around -- the perch is right where he can um... poop... in his water and food. We can't leave it that way. But I don't want to freak him out.... Since I'll be home today most of the day I'm going to just change his water a lot and watch his food. Don't want too many changes in too short a time.

Pictures soon!!

Denise in NC

That is wonderful news Denise. :-)

I am so happy for you and family. Sammy sounds like a real character and a joy to have as a new family member.

I am looking forward to hearing many more posts regarding Sammy and seeing some photos when you get a chance.

Well, I bought a new perch for Sammy to help get his nails trimmed down, but he's been a bit "not-himself" today, seems to startle easily, so I didn't want to introduce that today. I have put it near his cage so he can see it, but not inside. He doesn't play much -- maybe he will when he's settled down more. Toys and chewies don't interest him right now.

He did something that really surprised me today -- he went to his bowl to eat... sat on the edge... and reached in with his claw and grabbed a hand(claw)-ful and ate it from his claw. I've seen birds reach for things they want with their claws, but never reach into their food dish and get a handful! SO FUNNY!!!!

:laugh:

That's today's Sammy update -- just kind of quiet today, a bit nippy, so I've just kind of been "around" but not tried to do much with him. The weather is overcast, raining, and I'm wondering if the drop in the barometric pressure affects him like it does the outside birds????

Denise in NC

Yes an older gray can learn new words, tunes, whistles and commands. When I got my timneh 10 years ago, he was a passed around bird that had many previous owners. The vet figured he was already into his mid-20's, wild caught and imported to boot as evidence by his leg band.

This bird was not tame when I first got him, but after a year he trusted me and stepped up on my arm. He has learned to say many things that he hears me say and does so in my voice. He even laughs just like me. He is not a plucker or a chewer. He is never locked up in a cage and is free to fly about.

I just wish I could get more info on his age, but the vet told me it was impossible as the US government destroyed all animal Quarantine records back in 1990 or 1992. All he could tell me is that the letter code OUE means the bird was quarantines in California. My boy had certainly traveled more than me, as he now in New England with me, his forever buddy.

Per the vet he's in his mid-30's now which is considered old. He is healthy, eats well, gets feisty but he tends to nap more. He still says new things.