NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

EMERGENCY!

Aidan

Hi, my mom recently bought a 9 year old African Grey Timneh who's old owner had died. She's had him for two months and he's done really well. Today however he seemed to be having a hard time going poop. Eventually he managed to but now he seems very weak and his breathing heavily.

Please, if anyone knows how we can help him please let us know. We are all very attached to this bird, he's become part of the family.

By the way the person she purchased him from says he is male but we have no evidence that he was ever DNA sexed.

THanks in advance for any replies.

Hi, I'm sorry to be so slow in posting an update. I am heartbroken to announce that within moments of posting my original post, the bird died. It was so sudden. He went from being perfectly normal and healthy to being very sick within less than four hours, and then he was gone. A postmortum X ray showed that there was no egg, so that wasn't the problem. Autopsy results are pending, but the vet suspects it may have been kidney related. We are just shocked and devastated... we can't figure out what happened. If he had held in just a little longer we could have got him to a vet maybe... although the closest avian vet is a three hour drive from here.

Thanks for trying to help.

Very sad news Aidan. :-( Thanks for taking the time during your grieving to let us know.

One thing good that can come from this, is others can learn from this experience. If your Grey is acting out of the "Norm", something is wrong and that Grey needs to see a vet in hours.

As your example clearly shows, sometimes even hours are not sufficient.

Since, you are going to have a necropsy, please [post the results here. If you would be so kind. :-)

Thanks Aidan for letting us know and I am so sorry to hear he didn't make it but sometimes there is nothing you can do. Birds are known for hiding illness for as long as they can so when it is apparent that something is wrong time is of the essence.

You did all you could so don't blame yourself, this was going to happen in spite of all you did for him. My heart goes out to you in your time of grief and I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

When you do get the results of the necropsy if you could share that with us we would appreciate it very much.