NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

NEWBIE ---HOW CAN I STOP CHARLEY BITTING

emma

My CAG (Tanner) bites too. He is also tame, he is a big talker, he know's the step up command, he loves to sit on my shoulder, but he also bites. When on my shoulder he will sometime's nip at my ear, when he does that I look at him and say (NO!), he'll stop it then but alittle later he'll do it again, until I finally have to put him back on his perch. I have no idea why he wants to bite. He can be sitting on his perch, I"ll walk by and I"ll say do you want a head scratch, he will usually nod his head up and down, but as soon as I put my hand towards him he'll start to bite.... as far as the trust goes, I know that he trust me but it's just this biting thing... I am hoping that he will out grow it, he is 18 months old right now... I am constantly reading on how to break him from biting but nothing is working...

Open to any suggestions.

Thanks,

Jackie

To Jackie with Tanner: I don't think I would let Tanner sit on my shoulder. Sometimes they get to feeling a bit higher than you on the totem pole in that position. I have always read to interact with them at chest level or lower. Also, when you ask Tanner if he wants a head scratch, maybe he bobs his head up and down because that's what he has been taught. He might not know it means "Yes" in our language. Example: My CAG asks me lots of questions, but he isn't specifically looking for an answer. It's just what he has learned to say.

Try not to be intimidated by bites. If your bird learns that he gets his way when he bites, he will continue to bite. Take the bite "like a man," don't make a peep, and have the bird step up onto your arm as if nothing happened.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Jen

Thanks Jen. I don't think I need to let him shoulder either...in order to save my ear...LOL. Even though he was better last night, he sat on my shoulder for over an hour watching TV and didn't offer to play with my ear at all.... But still, I don't think I'll let him sit there anymore just in case....

Thanks,

Jackie

DaffyToons wrote:

To Jackie with Tanner: I don't think I would let Tanner sit on my shoulder. Sometimes they get to feeling a bit higher than you on the totem pole in that position. I have always read to interact with them at chest level or lower. Also, when you ask Tanner if he wants a head scratch, maybe he bobs his head up and down because that's what he has been taught. He might not know it means "Yes" in our language. Example: My CAG asks me lots of questions, but he isn't specifically looking for an answer. It's just what he has learned to say.

Try not to be intimidated by bites. If your bird learns that he gets his way when he bites, he will continue to bite. Take the bite "like a man," don't make a peep, and have the bird step up onto your arm as if nothing happened.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Jen

I am going to have to second that. It is NEVER a good idea to let Greys or any parrots for that matter sit on your shoulder. There is a reason pirates wear eye patches…

Seriously, though, your sweet little Grey friend has the ability to exert enough pressure with his beak to exceed the weight of an elephant. Greys don’t really have the “dominance” problems of some other parrot species like Amazons but even so…do not allow them to sit on your shoulder. In one second they could scar you for life or worse they could damage your eye.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Squeaky is biting just because he's being mean! He goes into attack mode anytime he sees my hand, but if I ask him for a kiss, he'll kiss with out biting, and if I put my head up to the cage, he loves to prene my hair. If I am holding him away from his cage, he doesn't try to bite my at all. what's going on???!!!

• 4 months later...
Guest Lidia

The reason Charlie is starting to bite you is probably that he is now old enough to begin to exert his desire for independence. This is to be expected and is perfectly natural. What you have to do is find a way around it. He'll go through a number of phases like this, when he is becoming independent, when he is becoming sexually mature, when he is having a particularly nasty molt, etc. Bear with it.

There are a couple of things you can try: the first is distraction. If Charlie is on your hand, you might swing him around a bit, so he has to concentrate on keeping his balance. This works very well with my fella, the odd time he wants to bite me. Funny enough, this morning he tried to bite me as I had to cut short our usual morning routine because I was running late. He doesn't like to have his routine changed. Anyway, I flipped him upside down and he clambered back upright and forgot he was trying to bite me. Soemtimes spinning him around also works (accompanied by "wheeeeeeeee!").

When Charlie bites you should tell him in no uncertain terms that he must stop. I use "Don't. Bite." and I say it very clearly and in a different voice to my normal one. I try to make it sound very firm. Anyway, as a result, he often says it to me if he is contemplating biting me, so I have advance warning! You must make good eye contact when you are doing this. Eye contact is very important as he will take many of his 'flock' cues from this. It also provides real comfort and helps the bonding process.

If he bites you the one thing you must not do is react badly, no matter how bad the bite is. You must NEVER punish him or isolate him. He simply will not relate what you are doing to what he did. He will not trust you and you will find it difficult to earn his trust back. I say this, because when Joshua was about two he went through the same thing as Charlie, and I knew NOTHING about parrots and I would isolate him or stick him back in his cage (I cringe now when I think about this). It took a long time to get him to trust me again. Birds don't understand punishment and it will just make him more frustrated and that's a whole can of worms you might want to avoid.

Furthermore, to a certain extent, as a parrot owner you WILL be bitten from time to time. I imagine everyone here has a scar or two. Once you learn how to deal with it, it will happen less and less and if you manage to keep your trusting bond with Charlie you will benefit in the long term.

As to the comments about shouldering birds, Joshua has always sat on my shoulder and I have never been bitten on my face, ears or anywhere accessible from the shoulder. I've had Joshua for 18 years, so I am pretty confident about him. Also, because he flies, my shoulders are often his favourite landing pad. I think you just have to establish your boundaries and be consistent about them. He wouldn't like me to bite his face and I think he understands that biting mine is not a good idea, especially since we kiss quite often!

Your bird will do what is expected of it if you do what is expected of you, if you see what I mean. Consistency and patience and kindness.

Anyway, try distractions of various sorts and try to figure out when and why he is getting bitey.

Good luck!

:kiss:

Trevazzelers, he is trying to tell you that the cage is his territory. You must get him used to you invading this space otherwise you will struggle with daily tasks. He should know that you are the leader of the flock. Having said that, it is important for him to feel he has some control over his own environment. He should feel safe in his cage. Perhaps you might try handing him treats while he's in the cage and complimenting him on his good behaviour so he knows you are not trying to invade or take over his space and associates your intrusions with something pleasant.<br><br>Post edited by: Lidia, at: 2007/07/04 17:39

Guest briansmum

i am reading lots on conflicing info and opinions about have greys on shoulders. i let brian on mine, he has gently nibbled my ears a few times an took the odd nip at my nose but he knows this gets a stern "no" and he is removed and it hasn't happened for a while. he likes to sit there for kisses, and he liked to just watch my mouth while i talk to him, which is probably good learning. and if he's not getting enough attention a loud sqwak in my ear is one of his favourite "look at me" techniques.

lidia do you think that if i keep removing him everytime he pushes the boundries of proper shoulder etiquette he will be ok on my shoulder. i am confidant i can read him well.

I think you are doing the right thing Beccy, I allow Josey on my shoulder and she has nibbled my nose but does not bite. A lot of people will say not to allow them on the shoulder but it is a personal preference and I choose to do so.

Lidia that is some very good advice you gave, I need to copy it and save it for future reference, thanks for sharing the info, I know you have helped more than just me.

Guest Lidia

xxbeccyxx wrote:

do you think that if i keep removing him everytime he pushes the boundries of proper shoulder etiquette he will be ok on my shoulder. i am confidant i can read him well.

Like Judy says, you sound like you are doing the right thing. Every bird has its own individual character and temperament and if you feel you are getting to where you want to be with him, then you probably are.

You just have to be very careful with your responses because, if he does something that gets a reaction from you, and he enjoys the reaction, then he will continue to do the thing to provoke the reaction. This applies to screaming, biting and all sorts of other things.

Judy, thank you! It is nice of you to say so.:kiss:<br><br>Post edited by: Lidia, at: 2007/07/04 17:36

well what i do to chico .Is when he bites i put him down on the foor and walk off and dont look at him then he will come to me,so i pick him up agian and he is good as gold and everytime he bites just do the same but now he doesnt when he is in a good mood lol.

Guest briansmum

thanks lidia and judy, i am going to continue to "shoulder" train Brian. and yes lidia i am very careful with responces, as i said he gets a stern "no" and is put back on his perch. i am a firm believer in facial expressions too. i'm a generally happy person, so i smile at brian when i talk to him and am pleased with him. when he is naughty i pull a frown face, which isn't very friendly or appealing. i'm hoping this will empasise when he is naughty and he will learn a happy smiley mummy is much better than a frowny one that walks away from him.

trevazellers wrote:

I think Squeaky is biting just because he's being mean! He goes into attack mode anytime he sees my hand, but if I ask him for a kiss, he'll kiss with out biting, and if I put my head up to the cage, he loves to prene my hair. If I am holding him away from his cage, he doesn't try to bite my at all. what's going on???!!!

Do you hand feed him? Perhaps he's expecting a treat and when he doesn't see one, he bites to say, "I want to bite something and you aren't holding FOOD!" I'm thinking that because he doesn't bite when you kiss him or hold your head to his cage, but he only seems to bite your hand.

As for the letting your parrot (CAG is what I have) sit on your shoulder, I havent ever had a problem with Richard sitting on my shoulder. When he sits on my shoulder, he sits there...that's it. He did stick his beak in my ear once, but that was it. He probably got some earwax 'cause he's never tried that again. LOL! But, I think the shoulder-perching is a bird-by-bird decision. I don't recommend it, but I don't discourage it, either.<br><br>Post edited by: Richardsmommy, at: 2007/07/13 20:50