NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hello

kgosset

Hello everyone. My name is Krystin and I just purchased an African Grey. My fiance and I have named the adorable bird Skye. She is currently about 13-14 weeks old and we are making payments on her. She will hopefully be home with us soon. As it stands we visit her every night and spend a lot of time working on step up and just getting to know her and her personality. I am really excited about our new family member as we have wanted an African Grey for quite some time now. Well that's really all I have to say for now. Hopefully I will have some photos to share with you all soon.

Welcome Krystin!!!

You are in for a life long adventure and relationship you will never regret. :-)

It's wonderful to be able to purchase and visit your grey weeks before you will bring them home. It gets them comfortable with you and vice versa. It also gives you the opportunity to gain much knowledge and tips from your breeder as you watch your grey wean and fledge as they learn to fly and gain confidence and balance.

We'll look forward to daily updates and photos ;-)

Welcome Krystin: You are are about to embark on a new and wonderful lifelong relationship. Do you have any other birds? As Dan said visiting your bird often before she arrives at home is great for you and the bird. Have everything ready for her before she arrives. Her cage should be in a central place of social activity in the home as greys need to be a part of the flock.

My biggest advice is to take it slowly insuring that the bird has a secure safe feeling. The other advice is to have infinite patience on your behalf.

A baby grey is so cuddly and loving, but make sure you remain the boss. Greys may tend to pick a favorite human to bond to , so if you want her to accept other s in the household make sure she gets equal attention from both people. Try to keep pet and kid exposure to a minimum at first while she gets used to her new home and people. If the pets or kids pass the cage often, be sure her door is closed. This will keep her feeling safe. You have found a great family of grey lovers who will be valuable help to you. Take advantage of this time before your baby comes home to read the threads here and post all the questions you need. It's a wonderful helpful bunch.

Can't wait to hear from you and see the new addition.

Good luck

Bruce & Mazy

Hello Krystin and welcome to the family, glad you could join us and we look forward to hearing more about you and Skye. That is an adorable name for a grey, BTW.

Thats really wonderful that you can visit with her every day and spend time doing fun things with her, she will be so much more relaxed when you finally do get to bring her home.

Do you have any other birds or pet in your household right now? You certainly have chosen an amazing creature to share your life with, all of us wonder how we got along before we got ours.

Bruce has given you some excellent advice and I won't add to it other than read thru the many threads here on various topicd for lots of useful information. Just ask questions if you have any and we will do our best to get you some answers and help you in any way we can.

If you do have any pictures of Skye you would like to share with us we would love to see her.:)

Hello everyone. I do have other birds. Currently we have four cockateils (Buddy, Cinnamon, Peanut and Missy or Mrs. as we call her) and two lovebirds (Shadow and Lemon). We already have a cage for Skye that she is staying in while we are paying for her. A heck of a deal on this cage. It is a 36 inch by 24 inch cage and we got it for 300 dollars. It is full of a lot of toys and perches of different sizes. We are buying her from a pet store that specializes in only birds. So she/he is getting a lot of attention from the employees and us. We will be placing Skye in our living room/office so she/he will be in the center of our most commonly used room. I am so excited and I will remember to bring my camera tomorrow when we visit Skye so I can post some pictures. Thanks all for the warm welcome.

Oh also we have no kids currently, and I am not sure of the sex yet so I keep calling Skye a she because the majority of our birds are females. I am thinking that Skye is actually a he but either way the name stays. Today Skye seemed to have completely grasped the Step up command so I am getting really excited to bring Skye home.