NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

What did your fid get today?

Shamelessmuse

I know I've seen a number of people ask what kind of things we all feed our Greys. I thought it might be a good brainstorming source for people if we post our creative dinners and such. For example:

Last night Greyce got steamed Broccoli, Caldiflower and Carrots seasoned with Cayenne and Cumin. She loved the Caldiflower and ate a good bit of her Broccoli and Carrots.

Mine had my own variety of birdy bread, which I bake weekly and freeze in slices for them, and some of our veggies. Oh and Liath ate 2 slices of raw red pepper (Oisin doesnt like it).

And for breakfast.... porridge of course....

Neither of them will eat pellets despite lots of trying on my part, so I give them as much "human" food as I can to try to balance out their diet. And I add vitamins to the birdy bread.

Siobhan

Last night Greyce got: Harrisons Bird Bread, Organic Bell Peppers and a bit of Kale.

This morning she got: Organic Oatmeal made with unsweetened Apple Juice with bannana and apple pieces and some chopped up almonds.

Tonight some bird bread, a smige of Almond butter and a veggie mix.

lovemyGreys: I do, my vet highly recommended it. I divide it up into 2 (make half, then the other half later)

She really seems to like it and you can add stuff to it like veggies, fruits, ect. I think next time I am going to take some of the dehydrated fruit or veggies in and see how that goes.

Let me know if you have any other questions!!

Here is the info, ingredients, directions, ect.

Indications/Uses

Provides a healthy alternative for bird owners who choose to prepare their own bird food or those who give regular treats to their birds

Can be offered instead of table food to birds that like to eat at family mealtimes

Can be used to assist in converting birds to a formulated diet

Can be hidden as a foraging reward

Can be used as a vehicle for administering liquid medications

Provides an easy-to-use transition for hospitalized or boarding birds until acceptance of the appropriate formulated diet

Can be moistened and offered to birds that are feeding chicks as a soft food

Can be used as a weaning food to transition to a formulated diet

Baking Directions

Preheat oven to 350�F (177�C). Combine entire bag of mix with 2 whole organic eggs including the shell (remove yolk for less fat), 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) AVIx Sunshine Factor�® or other high quality organic vegetable oil, and 1 cup (235 ml) water. Fill greased bread pan or muffin tins and bake for 25-35 minutes. Do not bake in nonstick (PTFE-coated) cookware, as the fumes are toxic to birds.

Serving Suggestions

May make up to 30% of the daily diet.

If prepared with the addition of fruits, vegetables or nuts, Bird Bread should be considered a treat and fed only in limited quantities (no more than 10% of the daily food allotment when combined with all other treats).

Can be served warm.

Some flavorings (vanilla, maple) or herbs can be added as long as they do not change the nutritional content.

Storage & Shelf Life

Because Bird Bread Mix contains not preservatives, some care is recommended for storage.

If the bag is opened, the top can be zipped closed or rolled down and closed with a chip clip for 4-6 weeks.

Bird Bread can be stored for 1 week in the refrigerator and 1 year in the freezer after baking.

Baked Bird Bread can be divided into portions, wrapped in plastic wrap and placed back in the original Harrison's Bird Foods bag for storage in the freezer.

Bird Bread should not be reheated in a plastic container.

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS

Crude protein (min.) 15%,

crude fat (min.) 8%,

crude fiber (max.) 6.5%,

moisture (max.) 10%

Ingredients Harrisons Bird Foods, Grey millet, *Safflower, *Sweet corn, Baking powder (aluminum-free) *CERTIFIED ORGANIC INGREDIENT

My grey got his usual morning "glop" for breakfast. It's a variation of Sally Blanchard's glop recipe. TOday his had: 1/2 slice of sugar free whole wheat bread crumbled and mixed with one teaspoon of non-fat natural yogurt, 1/2 a container of organic baby food (today it was the apple sweet potato variety), a few drops of flax seed oil and a sprinkle of wheat germ- all this is blended together to make a very moist glop. He loves it and eats the whole bowl full every morning. For lunch he's getting scrambled eggs with red peppers, carrots, and kale mixed in. He really loves eggs too.

It's great that so many people feed their birds a good variety of foods not just seeds or not just pellets. Mine have pellets in their dishes all day long but get supplements and treats of other foods throughout the day.

That all sounds good Lyric but I would go easy on the eggs, don't feed that every day and just a little at a time is best.

Its imperative that we feed our greys a variety of foods with lots of veggies for a nutritious diet, they would be lacking in vitamins and nutrients if we didn't.

Dayo had 7 bean soak and cook mix with carrots, oat groats, flax seed and green peas. Then he had some Harrison's High Potency ( yes, he has finally starting eating it) browns seed mix for medium parrots with lot of HOT Peppers. Veggies - Broccoli, Cauliflower and carrots. Then this afternoon he destroyed an entire apple I forgot and left out while working :woohoo: Then he had some cooked corn and mac and cheese from my lunch. then a few Almonds.

Then He'll go night-night with just Harrison's in his cage, which he will eat a little before sleeping and then eat that on awakening in the morning while waiting for me to cook his Saturday morning scrambled eggs with Red Palm Oil mixed in.

Mine FINALLY got some red palm oil! Fortunately, all three ate it, not only mixed in the "glop" I made (remembering the recipe after Lyric's posting earlier), but also straight up from the jar (just a tad, about 3 tiny nibbles).

Should I not give any of the red palm oil on the days when I give them a palm nut? Just don't want to overdo it.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Today the spoiled brats got, Birdie noodle soup!! Wich is basically homemade chicken noodle, minus the salt and pre-made boullion. Everything fresh or frozen and organic chicken! To make the broth I use oregeno, parsley and salt-free butter..amish made. Its not the chicken noodle I would make for me but they Fids love it!!!