NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Playgyms

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love this post!!

Suzzique wrote:

Sense we have a new member asking about playstands I thought I would bump this post up with pictures of the stands that I made for Alex.

img2623hv0.jpg

w480.png

Does anyone know what was used to cover the PVC pipes? I have sisel rope for one of my perches, but I love the colors!

Also... just to add in this awesome post... Here's Ash in her "tree"

February2009008.jpg

• 4 months later...

Abula, PVC pipe is a plastic piping found in hardware stores, HomeDepot, and the like. It is very tough and usually vet tape or sisal rope is wrapped around it for our fids toes to grip. In the Forum called "Homemade Toys & Playstands" there are other threads with toys and playstands. I have asked Administration to move this thread there also.

• 9 months later...

Hey guys! Tonight we bulit a version of the playstand that cdelatorrejr posted a while back. It is perfect! Including the vet wrap that we found at a local tack store it cost about 50.00 and the birds LOVE it! Here are some pics. Winston our CAG and Oz our Eclectus had alot of fun on it tonight :)

Russ

SDC17099.jpg

Edited by OrlandoGreyGuy

• 3 weeks later...
Wow that last stand looks awesome... where did you get all the different PVC pieces?

All from the Home Depot(hardware store) :) Its the drinking water pipe used in building homes. In the plumbing section you can find all the bits and pieces. The most used one for my design was the "T" connector. You'll think you bought too many until you start putting it together and quickly run out. I ended up making another trip once I got going and got a better idea of just how many of the things I needed :) Still, overall I spent under $50 including the $12 cutting tool(way easier than saw!!!) to build both stands.

Edited by Mawnee

• 3 weeks later...

Adding my playstand to the mix...this did not end up being cheap even though it's pvc, but the birds love it so I'm ok with the cost.

playstand3.jpg

The stand is about 18" x 24" and 6.5 feet tall at the crow's nest. I had a few main goals: 1) greatly reduce cleanup by containing mess, 2) give the birds a place outside their cages to eat, which can be rolled from room to room or up next to the table 3) create a "canopy" of toys where the birds could hang out during the day. I think I was able to achieve all of these goals pretty well. The crow's nest satisfies their need to be up high and puts a water dish up where they can't poop in it. When they descend beneath the canopy there are food bowls, toy boxes and lots of perches to climb on, plus tons of toys. Many of the toys are foraging toys too. The stand is built on wheels so it is easier to move it from room to room, and their food bowls are quick-lock crocks that are easy to remove and clean.

I used stainless steel eyehooks for toy hangers, as well as plastic plant chain. The birds actually like to climb on the plastic chain and it is also a great way to hang toys. You can string a chain across an opening and hang 5 toys on it, instead of using an eyehook that hangs just one. Although I used vetwrap for the perches, but the birds seem to prefer the sisal (and they occasionally pick at the vet wrap) so I have since re-worked this with a little more sisal and 1/4" polyrope on the horizontal perches. FYI, the sisal is awesome for climbing. My birds can go straight up the vertical poles with just a little sisal to grab on to. The polyrope is pretty and soft on the feet, but it's a little slippery for climbing unless you wrap it with gaps in between.

A few of the major areas where I've had problems on previous stands I've built:

1) I tried to make all the perches link up together with ladders and slides so it would be easy for the birds to move from place to place.

2) The newspaper didn't quite stick out far enough, which meant lots of bird poop on the floor - GROSS.

3) The perches criss-crossed under each other so a lot of bird poop ended up on them, which is REALLY GROSS. Especially when your bird steps in it and then steps on you.

Using the boing and rope and swings is a much better option for linking the perches together, because the birds LIKE to climb and hang, it's great exercise, and it's a great challenge for them to figure out how to get from perch to perch. My little girl has a nerve-damaged foot so I thought it would be easier for her if all her perches were linked together, but she is an awesome climber now and actually seems to have better balance than she did before. Both birds are always hanging, swinging or climbing now, which seems to make them very happy. Also, I extended the bottom support shelf about 2 inches on either side so that the newspaper would prevent floor splatter, and I arranged the perches so that they were at different levels but weren't directly under each other. It's not a perfect design, but it sure makes cleanup a lot easier.

One note about the food bowls - I spent countless brain cells on trying to figure out a solution to making bowls that could easily be removed from the stand. I did not want to deal with glue, and I found out the hard way that dremeling pvc just does not work well! In the end, the simplest solution is usually the best...and I realized that the bolt that comes with the quick-lock crocks is just long enough to fit through 3/4" pvc. So if you have a drill, I highly recommend this option.If the bolt is not long enough on yours then I'm sure your local hardware store would have something that could work. So I drilled a hole for the bolt and presto, now I have quick-lock crocks all over the stand. The birds usually eat breakfast and dinner on this stand, but the bowls are great places to put foraging treats during the day too!

Additional thoughts:

- Using vetwrap, 1/4" polyrope and 1/4" sisal over 3/4" pvc allows for varying perch widths - anything from 3/4" to about 1 1/4". I also used 3/4" to 1/2" connectors and took a couple of the horizontal perches down to 1/2" to change it up a little, so that the birds have a variety of different perch widths to choose from.

- I designed the horizontal perches so that they all are slightly angled instead of being level. I wanted to simulate a tree-branch as much as possible and those are never straight. Amazingly enough, one of the favorite places these guys like to hang out is on the angled side of the a-frame tops.

playstand1.jpg

playstand11.jpg

playstand6.jpg

playstand10.jpg

Edited by zandische