NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Playgyms

Hi Everyone,

I am thinking of purchasing a playgym for my greys, but am having trouble finding good reviews on any. Does anyone LOVE their playgym, and thinks it's the best thing? Or does anyone wish they never bought their's? I have been intrigued since watching the DVD "captive foraging", and would prefer one to look something like the foraging tree in this DVD (lots of perches and places to climb to).

Thanks!

Debbie

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont have a playstand yet, but I've been doing research..... And I think I may tray and build myself one. I dont think I would be torture, It would be FUN (but thats just me.)

I have seen natural woood stands, and they are very nice.

If you are looking at petstores and not online, you could try bringing them into the store to try out some of the setups first. Ive done this with Charlie,for some toys, and the employees just coo over them.

Just a thought. Otherwise you could find a company that would costome make them.

Thanks!

Ooooh I need to get you a picture of my new foraging tree... I can show you the skeleton, but now it has all kinds of fun things on it, like ropes and dishes and toys. I had a girl in my youth group build it, and she did a great job.

tree2.jpg<br><br>Post edited by: Talon, at: 2008/02/06 21:47

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! I was quite happy with it as I'm not the most handy person and I'd never worked with PVC before. The food/water bowls are the 4" PVC end caps with a 1" (or whatever size fits into the other size of pipe) glued onto the bottom piece which I used larger PVC pipe for. I was paranoid about the glue so I left them in the garage for several weeks and then ran them through the dishwasher several times.

I used Vetwrap on the posts so that they could get a better grip. I have the ladder that goes down to the floor so they can climb up on their own if they fly down to the floor.

The biggest pain was making the many, many cuts of the PVC. I almost went out and bought a table saw (which would have increased the overall cost significantly)!

Lisa

That's funny, Judy! You could be right...unfortunately I'm pretty lazy so the chance of me actually doing any adding on at least until summer isn't very high! :blush: And actually as mine hardly ever move around on the ones they have I'm concerned a bigger one would just be taking up more space and not get used.

There are so many great ideas here!

Lisa

Yeah I feel pretty much like you do but I am hoping my hubby will at least help me or take on the task of building one for Josey, I especially like the idea of having one on wheels so it can be taken anywhere in the house for her enjoyment. I have a metal one I purchased that is just a little too large to move from room to room but these posted in this thread are very ideal looking, hmmmmm, my mind is working on how to hornswoggle my hubby into it.:blink: :laugh: :P

• 3 weeks later...

I lucked out and bought a nice one at the pet store for $23. I had been eyeing it for months at $99, but couldn't afford that price. When it went on sale I snatched it up. That said, I'm glad I bought it on sale because Klaus hardly ever goes on it. However, he's a baby yet (just about to turn "1" in the next couple of days here). I think after he turns 2 and gets a little more independent, he'll hang out on it more.

The nice thing with mine is that there are three parts that disconnect and can be used as seperate stands. The main part is the huge pat but there are Ladder stands too. They are smaller and easily carried to other rooms in the house. But the reason it is so big is because that is Pocco's area, he is not caged ever so he really needs that large stand!

• 4 months later...

Here's the playgym I created for my grey. It took approximately 6 hours. Its constructed of PVC, plant saucer and sisal rope for about $50.00 total. So far, Bobot, my TAG, is a little apprehensive about it. I hope he gets used to it and finds it fun and functional. DSCF0614_lowres.jpg<br><br>Post edited by: cdelatorrejr, at: 2008/07/21 06:05

DSCF0614_lowres.jpg

• 1 month later...