NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Smokie's beak

Smokie2002

Hi, I'm new here and have a question. I have a CAG and he will be 5 in May of this year. He is as sweet as he could possibly be, and I love him dearly. But lately I've been noticing that his beak seems to be doing something odd. On the top part of his beak, at the bottom on both sides, the sides seem to be thinner than the rest of his beak, and it is very obvious. I'm not sure if anyone can help me with this.

It could be he's flaking off excess layers of the keratin material their beaks are made of, but I think the best advise for you would be to go see a vet. Smokie2002 - so you can be sure about it.

I have seen this on Timnehs also on cockatiels,it is normal according to my Avian vet(if you are worried at all take your parrot to an AVIAN vet more expensive but loads better).I had a Timneh called Smokie who died on Christmas eve,she was a rescue bird I had her a few years but sadly even after the vet looked at her she passed away;I really do miss her,as She was not only my friend but also my companion,please if you notice anything at all that worries you with your bird get it checked out