NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Newbie Question

trevazellers

Hi, I don't know if I am posting this in the right spot or not, so please bear with me ;) . Anyway, I just got a 9 month old African Grey 5 days ago, and he was just the sweetest little thing at the breeder's house. Well, on the way home, he got out (totally my fault) and ended up crawling up into the break and gas peddles (we were stopped at Petsmart). Well I finally got him out, after a long struggle, and got him home safely. But now I'm worried that I've traumatized him. He hasn't learned to step up onto a hand yet, but he stepped onto a stick very well whan I got him. Now he doesn't really want much to do with me. I try to pet him on the head, but he runs away from me. He will eat oranges and cereal out of my hand, and he comes out of his cage on his own (he's also been flying down, which started last night, stinker ;) ). So, should I be concerned, or will he come around? How long does it take for them to trust you? Any advice is much appreciated!!! Thank you!

Trevazellers hi,

I wouldn't worry too much if he's eating out of your hand. He might still be a bit wary but if he'd be traumatized I'm sure he wouldn't come close to your hand at all ;)<br><br>Post edited by: FairY, at: 2007/01/27 12:44

Thanks FairY, I just love him so much, and I'm hoping that since I've only had him for a week that he'll come around. How long does it usually take for them to trust you? Meaning stepping up onto your hand, etc. I am willing to be patient, I just need a little guidance :)

HE will absolutely come around! Believe it. What you have there is one of the most intelligent animals that have ever crawled over the surface the Earth. However, remember YOU are a member of the MOST intelligent animals that has crawled the Earth. It all depends on YOU! The relationship you have with your Grey will evolve or devolve depending on your resolve. Be calm, patient and persistent and you’re going to have a great friend there. Sounds like you have a winner, hang in there!

Thanks Qweevox, he didn't shy away today when I went to pethim, so at least we're making progress (and he doesn't seem to hate me!). I'm not even having him step up onto a stick right now, I'm just letting him relax, I'm letting him take a break and just be spoiled for a while :) . When would you suggest I try working on steppng up with him agin?Thanks for the encouragement!

I agree.. Give him some time.. He's NOT quite sure if you are trustworthy. But they learn fast.. They are extremely intelligent.. Don't worry about the care incident. YES they hold grudges but they seem to forgive when you hand them their favorite treat.. Just keep working with him and loving him and he will surely come around:)