NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

prepare me for the bites neosporin or finger casts

rickster

Hello Madness,

It's never good to put your face up to any bird you have not developed a close relationship with. You are the big scary thing that the bird is going to protect itself from. Once scared, with adrenalin pumping, your Grey was not paying attention to who's finger is now in his face, but just the fact that something else was now (Your finger) in striking distance and strike he did.

Yes, we know Greys are not vicious, but as with any animal that becomes protective of their space or feels threatened, they will strike at what or whom ever that thing is. They will also let you know they do not want to be picked up or messed with by sometimes just a gentle clamp down on your finger/hand or at times a hard bite if you have crossed the line of what they consider to be a pest bugging them. :-)

It takes time for you and your Grey to learn each others temperament, body language, personal space and develop relational ground rules. It is also important that that the Grey feels safe in his environment and protected from "scary" new and perhaps hyper people like children. Socialization of your Grey is very important with all the members of your home and those whom frequent it. It is also your responsibility to ensure that all who enter are either kept from antagonizing your Grey or interacting with it in an inappropriate manner. All visitors, relatives etcetera, must be advised of whether you allow any interaction with your Grey at all and if so, what the proper way to so id. This will ensure your visitors are safe, but more importantly your Grey is not harmed or traumatized.

I can tell you though, that there are "Rogue" Greys, just as some people. I met one such Grey that was vicious by nature at age 13 weeks and thus became labeled "The Grey from Hell" by me, after a few blood drawing attacks for no reason. It also randomly would attack the breeder. That Grey is now a breeder and will never be sold as a "Companion Parrot".

It is going to take a little time for you and your Grey to settle in. But, it will be a wonderful adventure for you and family, that will be rewarded with many good times and a lot of love. :-)