NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

2 Questions

DweamGoiL

Does anyone have experience with feather cysts?

Mini Me had a reddish bump on her back over her right wing area and I immediately associated it to her molt since I can plainly see her feathers are growing back all over the wing area (finally...I will never have her clipped that short again!!!).

In reading some articles, it certainly does seem like it's a feather cyst, but it has gone down substantially taking about a week to do so.

Can these disappear on their own? or do they have to be lanced by a vet?

Ok, so I guess it's more than just 2 questions :)

Lastly, how long does it usually take for a Grey to regurgitate?

Mini has been attempting to give me that special birdy gift, but has never actually managed to bring it up. Is this something that takes some time to master or is the 'ceremony' of it just as valuable to them as the gift itself?

Dweamgoil: Regurgitation isn't anything to promote in your bird's behavior. How old is your bird? If it is reaching sexual maturity this may be foreplay to you. Don't encourage this or any body handling as you may end up with an egg. As far as the cyst goes, I say take it to the vet. An expert such as this can only narrow the possibilities down by observation and tests. It doesn't sound bad and actually sounds like it's going away, but better to be on the safe side.

Good luck and look forward to hearing about you and your bird. We love pictures.

Bruce & Mazy

Hi MazyAK,

I don't think it is sexual in nature (Mini just hatched in December of last year). From what I had read throughout this same forum, I had gathered it was a sign of affection.

I am not encouraging this behavior, but I have noticed she does do it more frequently when we are alone rather than when we are in the livingroom with the rest of the fam. I was just curious as to what to expect.