NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Trees around a cage

sshrop

I am looking to "decorate" around my grey's cage. I want it to look good but I also want it to be good for my bird. I though about maybe putting greenery type plants under the bottom of the cage and maybe a tree next to her cage. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to use, if there is anything I can use. She just has a california cage. It's silver and VERY boring to look at.

Hi,

I wanted a nice "environment" for by birds as well, so I have palms around the cages. The cages are nestled into this nook in the great room where all the action is (I have an open architecture where my kitchen opens into the breakfastroom which opens into the living room. The birds are right in the middle - in the breakfast room.

So - at first blush, I was quite pleased with the end result. But the birds really like those palms! They like to sit in them, AND they like to chop on the branches! Bella has one of my nicer ones down to two branches :ohmy:

She's playing this game with me where she'll sit on a branch, and start chomping and I'll shoo her away. She'll squawk while hurrying to climb up on her cage, and the minute I turn my back, she's back in the palm chomping away. :angry:

I did get a little bit of poetic justice the other day when she was at it again, and she was in such a hurry to chomp the branch that she didn't realize she was sitting on the end that would fall if she chomped it in half :woohoo: Well sure enough, took one good chomp before I got up off the couch to shoo her away, and she chomped it right out from underneath her :whistle: Of course I picked her up and gave her tons of hugs and comfort, but I did feel just a tiny bit satisfied that I got myself a little bit of poetic justice :P

The other rub with the plants is that anything and every thing they are eating drops into the pots and I'm finding myself pulling all kinds of strange growths out of the pots. I think if I left it, I'd have a jungle growing there pretty soon!

I have a few budgies who loved a palm that I had in my sitting room. They would all perch in it together. Unfortunately they loved nibbling on it too. My neighbour was visiting one day and asked me where I got the lacy plant. I didnt know what she was talking about until she showed me the shredded palm. I decided it was probably time to bin the plant :)

sshrop:

I have a 5 gallon bucket with a 4 inch pipe cemented in the bottom. I go out and cut a big branch and stick it in the pipe hole and there you have it a climbing tree. After a month or so, sometimes in weeks they have chewed most of it up and I just pull it out of the bucket, cut the bigger limbs to screw in for cross perches in the new branch I put in the hole. As far as safe trees to use which are in your area you have probably already found the above mentioned "safe plant & tree" site. Here's a shot of our tree stand we have in the bedroom. We have one downstairs between the cages also. This one you see is ready to be replaced. But it gives you the idea

Bruce & Mazy

MVC_010E.JPG

MVC_010E.JPG

I have a silk ficus not far from Klaus' cage. Foolproof, right? You cannot kill a fake plant... Klaus has only been in it once. I was vacuuming with him on my shoulder and he decided he'd had enough, so he flew and landed in the tree. He was so cute, with his little white face peeking out, waiting for the nightmare to be over! :P

• 6 months later...

I am after a 5-6ft tree to grow in my conservatory for monty to play on, im in the uk, does anybody have any ideas on what I should use? I was thinking of a fruit tree but on web sites they recomend a dwarf tree and I wanted bigger one