NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

HELP!

TroubledGrey

To anyone who has had experience with troubled, suicidal, depressed, and angry Greys:

Please give me some help! I have a long description in my profile about my poor Grey who is in terribly bad shape. I'm a college student with a rescued Grey and I am having a very hard time with him. He's getting the best of medical care from the Cornell Veterinary Hospital but behaviorally no one seems to know what to do with him. He won't stop hurting himself...thankfully, he isn't plucking yet.

Anyway, if anyone thinks they might be able to advise me on Greys then I'd be more than happy to give a more detailed description of his behavior and history. Thanks!

Hi there!! I have a couple of questions, though I did read your bio info. Have you consulted with a Behaviorist? What are you feeing? How long has your bird been on the meds and please remind me what town Cornell is in. I maybe able to give you some info/suggestions that could help your baby. But, for some of the referrals I would need to know where you are. Hopefully some others will have some suggestions as well. With a whole lot of patience and love I am sure you can get through this!

I have copied your story from your profile so members can read through it while trying to reply,

Troubledgrey wrote....

Cleo, my troubled Grey, came to me about a year ago in dire conditions. My dad, an animal lover, but also a doctor working 12 hour days, bought Cleo about 13 years ago when he/she (sex unknown but I refer to Cleo as a he) was just a chick. My mother, not so much the animal lover, was left to care for Cleo. Things didn't work out so well- Cleo fell in love and my mother became increasing disgusted with the constant poop and feathers about the house. Nine years later, Cleo ended up in the basement. A series of mishaps led to the permanent loss of all of his flight feathers on his right wing. Slowly, Cleo lost weight and sunk further into depression. I came home from college to see his state and convinced my torn father to let me take him back to school with me. I'm trying so hard to help him back through recovery but I need more help!!! He's on valium and paxol but continues to jump unprovoked from his perch. He has bad habit of dive bombing from his perch unprovoked and not flapping his wings to break the fall. A very, very unhappy bird! Anyone who is interested and has experience with traumatized birds, please, please, please contact me!!!

Firstly how long did Cleo spend in the basement ? did he/she have any human interaction ? If she was left alone without human love & interaction then there is going to be a huge amount of psychological damage to Cleo.Jumping from his perch may well be a cry for attention,I would suggest you find an animal behaviourist to help you in rehabilitating Cleo.It will be along & slow road but I'm sure you are aware of that,good for you for taking this poor grey from what sounds a miserable existence, I only wish i could offer more advice,but im in no way experienced in this kind of neglect/behavior field.

What a sad story Troubled Grey. It is admirable that with the busy schedule of a College Student, that you are trying your best to give the care, attention and love to this poor guy.

If he is not Feather plucking, why did the vet prescribe Valium and Paxil? The reason I ask, is because Valium is a depressant and Paxil and an anti-anxiety medication. I can understand the latter, but not the Valium.

While trying to figure out his behaviour, it would be good first of all (if you haven't already) to lower his perch just 3 or 4 inches from the bottom of the Cage and place some Towels and newspaper to cushion any falls or jumps of desperation.

I cannot imagine life in a basement isolated from all contact with other living beings. It is no wonder that he is in this state. Also, could you please expand on how he lost all his flight Feathers in an "Accident"? That sounds traumatic in and of itself.

I am not certain if you live in a Dormitory or perhaps housing with multiple roommates. But, the atmosphere needs to be one of consistency, peacefulness, plenty of light (preferably a window he can see out of during the day), lots of closeness (just sit next to his cage and read or TV) and give him all the BIG snacks he wants to let him know you are his friend and companion. Also, if your ok with it, open his Cage door and let him climb out if he so desires. Can you get him to step up on a stick or perch?

I would ask the vet about the meds and IF they are truly necessary, as they are mood altering drugs and can take the mind into a constant haze. This could be slowling down the progress and cause more issues, rather than help. But, that's the vets call.

Lastly, as all the others have indicated, please see if a behaviourist is in close proximity. You could also see if there is an Avian rescue near-by that could also come over and analyze his behaviour and give you some good advice. Avian rescue people know their stuff and are committed to helping the Avian population and their caregivers in anyway they can.

Please keep us updated and don't worry about posting a lengthy reply. We love hearing in detail and trying to help as best we can. :-)

Troubled Grey:

You are this birds' hero, even though he hasn't realized it yet. Do exactly what Dan has said above. The keys here are the feeling of security for your bird and patience for you. Be slow and calming. A lot of time is going to be necessary here but keep faith, you will prevail. I would love to see the bird off the drugs also.

Keep us posted and ask for help anytime. This is a 24 hour site and we are spread out over the entire world.

Bruce & Mazy

One think I would do right away is lower the perch very low in the cage or even find a cage without a lot of up and down space.

Unfortantly as with humans you stay depressed to long and it alters the brain. So not sure what can be done to make life easier on him.

You could try getting in touch with Sally Blanchard I know she use to have a grey named Bongo that was a real challange.

Just do a goodle on her you'll find her.

My heart goes out to your little guy and I hope you can at least make life not so scary for him.

Good luck