NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Difference in the "quality" of voice between Timneh and Congo.

Partywhipple

Like many people, I am trying to decide between a Timneh and a Congo Grey. I have heard, and believe that they have the same talking ability - but I just read the following on a website, and i was wondering if the people who had experience with both birds agreed:

"Timneh African Greys can mimic sounds as well as words. Their voice sounds a bit smaller than a Congo Grey. Although they can mimic the words they do not mimic the sound of the voice as exactly as does the Congo Grey. They sound more like a child speaking in a little voice."

Is it true that Timneh`s have "smaller" voices than the Congo`s? One of the things that I like about the Congo`s is that the quality of voice is so close to that of a person. ~Mike

father-in-law`s voice, which was very deep, and his wife`s voice, which was higher pitched and sort of nasal. It sounds like they`re in the room with you - kind of eerie, since my father-in-law died several years ago, and he was divorced before that, so neither person is around any more. At least in my bird`s case, there doesn`t seem to be a limitation to her range. Of course, she also imitates all the beeps, squeaks, thumps, etc. she hears around the house, along with bird calls, dog barks, goose honks, and so on...