NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Any advice for the ones who know the history?

Ronda477

First get her to get more times with your hands near her. Feed he more by hand when you can. keep her on you more. If she fly off just start over again about 20 minutes at a time. When you hold her get your hands on her a much as posable.

Joe

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rhonda, when you are standing by the cage and the bird is on the play top, how much taller are you than the bird. The breeder always told my wife, who is short, that if she had trouble getting Maui off the play top, that she needed to stand on a stool so that she was noticably taller than Maui. You are dominant if you are higher than the bird. If you try to grab the bird before she flys, I go between the legs with my hand facing down and catch both legs. With your hand facing down and your fingers towards the rear, you would take a bite on the back of the hand which isn't as bad as if they get a finger. The bird will flap her wings, but, she won't go anywhere as you have the legs. If you thenn tuck her to your chest and snuggle her, she may calm down pretty quick. As was said earlier, take your time and don't push it. However, if Sweetheart learns that snuggling with you is not dangerous, she may want to do it all the time. The important thing is to make sure that she is calmed down before you put her back. If you put her back while she is still all wound up, she won't have learned anything. Hope this helps.

Ronda477 wrote:

Or what is the first move I should do?

Well, first do the Michael Jackson Moon walk up to the Cage. Then do the Snake Charmer hand movements to mesmerize her and then just pick her up by the legs with her flapping around like a chicken. :P

The second option is to try as the others have stated and expect a few good bites, which I know your up-to as you have already stated. :-)

Well thank you! We do have another parrot that my husband dealt with because she was abused so I do know all about the dominance and taller than the cage. I am 5'8 and when she is standing on the lower part of her cage/playtop where she does the majority of the time I am taller than her, she does try to run up the ladder though and get higher but there is nothing we can do there for I would hit my head on the ceiling if I stood on a chair lol. And when I do make her step up I do hold her feet already and always have, she can not fly off of my hand when I have her. She only flies when we approach the cage and try to get her to step up like I had posted earlier but if given the go night night command she will step right up. And trust me I think anyone here can tell you I have been patient with all that I have been through with her lol.

LOL Dan we have a habit of posting at the same time so I will edit mine lol. Funny with the moon walk, hubby can do that but I cant' lol I will try more with her instead of just talking though thanks!<br><br>Post edited by: Ronda477, at: 2008/01/26 21:37

If Sweetheart is use to you holding her by the legs when she is flapping around, I would go ahead and try holding her close to your body for a snuggle. You might wand to wear a heavy sweatshirt in case she bites something other tan your hand, OUCH. Do this while standing and if she calms down, try sitting down with her. It will be interesting to see if once you have her calm if she tries to fly once you let go of her.

One more thing, if anything keeps a bird from flying, it's treats or their favorite toy when you are sitting with them. With Maui, I put a towel in my lap and put a couple of almonds on it and he gets so interested in that, that the dog doesn't even scare him. In your case, the quieter the room is where you do this, the better. You don't want Sweetheart being spooked by any other pets or noises until she is more use to it.

lol I have tried this too watchout you can ask about our bedroom experience with her lol. I took her in the bedroom away from everything with favorite treats and toys and just was no good, she didn't like this at all. She doesn't really have a favorite toy and as far as food lol that is another story, she just shreds her food and doesn't really eat anything that I offer. This is why I am having soo much trouble

I don't understand when you say she don't like the bedroom. Does she have a choice? Just keep bringing her there till she Gets comforable with it. Sorry, but she has no rights when you have to make her mind you. My guys hated everything I did until they got use to it.

Joe

If she isn't losing weight, then she must be eating some of the food you give her. Maui shreds everything too. Almonds still in the shell make great treats because they have to open them to get the treat out. My breeder told me that she has never seen a Grey that didn't like them. I haven't read about the bedroom incident, but, it is also true that trying to work with your bird out of sight of the cage helps them be more dependant on you.

Ronda477 wrote:

goodness I don't know! My hands aren't big enough for her though lol I would have to grab her with both of them and that means double the bites lol Should I try grabbing her? Or what is the first move I should do? I don't want to freak her out totally, should I start with her back, or what?

Ronda, I wore a bulky sweater one day and Bella completely freaked out. She flew off her playtop screehing. When I tried to pick her up she fought me tooth and talon! I decided I can't have her telling what I an and can't wear so when this happened again. I caught up with her picked her up - and she was pitching a fit while I was doing it, but then I held her against my chest, cuddled her, and hummed a mantra into her ear. Her little heart was bounding and she was very upset, but she settled down, and she was snuggled up against the offending sweater. I stayed like that until she realized the sweater isn't going to do anything to her - it's still me.

Jeez oh pete lol I don't know you guys! She has been through hell and back to get to us to begin with and that's why I have kind of let things slide a bit with her. I was afraid like everyone said that she will remember all the trauma for awhile and that I should just be patient with her, but I don't mind trying, I just don't want to push her further.

And she isn't losing weight cause I know she is eating her seeds and pellets, but as for the extra's like people food she just shreds. And yes Joe I have her food out at all times should I not? In her cage she has a bowl with her pellets and her seed along with her water, than on top of her cage/playstand she has water and her seeds and I put people food (veggies, fruits) on top or sometimes in the cage as well. See I did not get the great part of picking her out at the breeders and the bonding, or getting her as young as some people did on here and I think that has had a real disadvantage with us. Thank you all for helping now is just getting the nerve up to take the bites lol.

Ok here's an update! I wore my red shirt which she hates! And my hair down another thing she absolutely growls at me for lol and I went to get her and she was too quick she flew right off, but when I got her off the floor cause she flew into the kitchen I put her up to my chest which I have never done before and with my other hand I put it on her back and pet her a bit, but most of all to just kind of hold her close. Hubby said I was very brave lol. But she didn't bite, she offered but I said no no be a good girl! And she let me carry her through the living room that way and than I put her in her cage cause we are leaving to go to a friends house and I put her favorite sprouts in there for her, when I put her down on her swing she growled a little but that's a step in the right direction right????? I was happy and my heart was racing lol, go figure! I can do horses but get shaky with a big beak lol. Ok gotta run just thought I would update everyone!

Yeah!!! Super Rhonda!!!! You know, while writing abou this to you, I remembered that my Avian Vet used the gentle but firm approach with Bella and it worked like a charm.

In my mind there are two people she absolutely needs to be comfortable with - that's me, and her vet. Our vet is a certified avian vet, with tons of experience with birds - not only companion birds, but he's also rehabilitated owls and other birds of prey. He has an Amazon. So, he is a real bird lover.

During my first visit with Bella I asked him if I should ope her crate and he said no; he reached in, gently, but with tons of confidence and just said firmly for her to step up. She was so surprised by his confidence she complied without a peep! She did regain her composure though and flew off his hand , he went to pick her up and she stepped up, but nipped him. He then held her at eye level with him, and he made a sad face and said "ouch! That hurt! No Bite!". I'm pretty sure she "got it" because he was able to conduct all the rest of his tests, which were all about agility, and reflexes and he made a game out of it, so she seemed to be playing with him then.

Afterwards she sat on my shoulder and stared at him in disbelief LOL! But it worked - taking control, gently, firmly, tons of love!

Congratulations Ronda on you first step and brave adventure into a new zone!!!

Keep it up and don't sweat small set backs if they happen. Your confidence obviuosly impressed sweetheart as Nychsa pointed out.

You go Cowgirl :-) Yeeee Haawwww