NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

sore hands help

alfie2008

I advise letting your vet clip your birds nails unless you know what you are doing.Inside every toenail is a blood supply, or "quick". If cut, this will begin to bleed and can be very painful.

Is Alfie a baby ? his nails shouldnt be too long just sharp,make sure he has a variety of different perches this will help file them down.

I recommend having a cement perch in the cage...and putting a fav toy next to it so they will go on it. You still need nail trims from time to time but they don't get needle sharp. I like the one (can't remember the name off hand) that looks like it is twisted so there are all different surfaces for your bird to stand on.

The cement purch is a great idea. We got the one that has a tiny treat cup on it. We put a couple nuts in there to make sure Maui gets on it. It's also place in the middle of the cage up high where he likes it. That and the boing are his two favorite spots in the cage. Cement is much better ten the sandpaper wraps that you might see at the pet store and those things are not recommended based on what the breeder told us.

www.drsfostersmith.com has what they call a "safety pumice perch". It has a smooth top and bottom and just the sides have the pumice. I have one in each of my birds' cages and they love them. One of my girls' nails grew so fast I can't keep bringing her to the vet (plus it's winter and I don't want to bring them outside if not an emergency). I looked at all of my birds on their perches and their feet don't touch the rough stuff, just their nails. It has worked wonders on all of them and we have no problems holding any of them anymore and no more unwanted skin piercings on our hands/arms! :-)

Lisa

Wow, I am totally experiencing this right now. Juji came home yesterday, and her claws are razor sharp. She has a calcium perch in her cage, and it's her favorite, but until that kicks in are there any lotions or anything I can put on my hands to help heal?

I never had this problem when I was around cockatiels all the time, I guess my hands were used to it. OUCH!!!

• 5 months later...

I use Jergen's Anti-Bacterial Lotion for my clawed up and chomped on hands. It really helps them feel better. I really need to get Kumiko's claws done, he keeps sharpening them (I catch him chewing on them a lot, and everyday they feel sharper.)

{Feel-bad-00020080}

If you get her nails clipped or filed please please please be careful its not too short - my bird's nails got filed too short, and she is plucking her feathers. I'm not sure if the nail clip is the root cause of the plucking, but it sure didn't help!

I'd much prefer to have all the scratches on my hands back than see her plucking. She's unable to grip on things to climb now because they are so short - it's awful. :(

Guest Skuffy

Ummmmmmmmmm...Ive never had Max Talons clipped...Simply take all the dowl perches out his Cage and replace then with the Croncrete Perches...Even find a Nice clean Rock to add in the bottom of his/her cage...My hands used to be a right mess it looked like id been cutting myself....I changed all his perches to Concrete and now his Talons are just right...Within a wk you'll see the difference..My hands did....Giggles""" I spray Aloe Vera on my scratches cleans them up in no time...:woohoo:

CONCRETE

Your African grey can use a concrete perch to keep his nails and beak trim. Greys often choose to sleep on a concrete perch because it provides good footing. You also may notice your grey using his concrete perch as a “napkin” after a particularly messy meal, so clean and disinfect the perch regularly. Your grey should have access to two concrete perches of different dimensions, but make sure that these aren’t the only perches in his cage because they can be irritating to the grey’s feet...

PLASTIC

Plastic perches are inexpensive and easy to clean, but they are not as pleasant for your grey to stand on as perches made of other materials. Some acrylic perches come with toys attached, and these can be a nice addition to the cage. If you use plastic perches, provide other types of perches for your bird as well.

ROPE

Rope perches are fun for a grey to play with and come in a variety of dimensions and colors. Your bird will enjoy shredding the rope, but you must check it every few days for loose strands that can wrap around his legs or neck and cause serious injury. Trim any ragged rope strands as you find them.

WOOD

Wood perches are perhaps the most common choice for pet birds, but the smooth wooden dowels that come with a commercial cage don’t offer much of a foothold for your African grey. If you score these dowels every 1/2" (1.3 cm) or so with a razor blade, they will have more texture and be easier to grip. Wood perches are also great for your grey to chew on. You can buy wood perches in a variety of dimensions, but you can also use wood from backyard trees, as long as the tree you choose is nontoxic and free of fertilizer or pesticides.

It the wild they trim there own Talons,,,get the right Perches you'll have no bother with nasty scratches..{Nature-00020095}<br><br>Post edited by: Skuffy, at: 2008/06/27 12:03

Over a year ago, while Dorian was still in the store, I got him used to me playing 'This little piggy' with his talons while he was hanging onto the side of the cage. So he's used to me lightly grabbing a talon and wiggling it about, playing with it. When I notice one has gotten needle sharp, I put claw trimmers in my other hand and quickly trim off just the tip. Sometimes I get away with two, usually just one at a time.

I did cut the quick once. He moved as I was cutting and I just barely got it. Felt like such a bad mom!:( A little dab of cornstarch stopped the bleeding, although it had almost completely stopped on its' own. He recovered faster than I did!