NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hi everyone

Lyric

Just wanted to say hello. I've been reading posts on your forum for some time now but never felt the need to create an account. I decided to become more involved so here I am!

I have kept/raised/been owned by birds for most of my life. I have bred and handfed cockatiels, lovebirds, pacific parrotlets and Timneh greys. My pair of Timnehs decided to surprise me after more than 10 years by producing one chick in Aug 2006. Lyric will be 2 years old on Aug 27 2008. He is the joy of my life and was well worth the wait. Anyway, hello to all of you and just to let you know, I've enjoyed reading about your birds and getting helpful advice off your site.

Thanks!

Hello and welcome to the family, Lyric, glad you could finally join us after lurking for awhile. Even though you do not have to join to read thru the threads I think you will find that you can contribute a lot to this forum. With your experience with birds we can always use another brain to pick knowledge from and you are welcome to join in the fun.

How nice that your pair of Tags produced a baby, and now that baby is the joy of your life. Were these two Tags kept as pets the whole time or where they part of the breeding stock? I am just curious because it seems they need special conditions for them to breed.

Since you have already read a lot of the threads I won't have to direct you there but if you need specific information just do a forum search with the words you are looking for and you will find lots of answers.

If you have any pictures of Lyric you would like to share with us we would love to see him.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I think I will enjoy being a part of your family!

Judygram, I originally purchased a wild caught male timneh (back in the days when they were still being imported). I wanted a tame handfed Congo but couldn't afford it, a wild caught Timneh was much more reasonable at that time. I tried to tame Tarzan with gentle persuasion but never had much luck. Eventually I found him a mate, a wild caught female that was traded to a pet store for another bird. So, Akasha came to live with us. They bonded almost instantly. I never really tried to tame Akasha. Both birds are accustomed to my presence and will take food from my hand but won't step up or tolerate being handled except unwillingly in a towel. I had a nestbox on the cage for years with no luck. They wouldn't even go inside it. Then, I noticed them mating a couple of years ago and decided I would give it a try again. I put the nest box back on and it didn't take them long at all to go inside. I think it was just meant to be.

Akasha had 4 eggs in that first clutch. The first egg I think took her by surprise and was cracked on the bottom of the cage when I found it. She successfully laid 3 more inside the box. Of these, only one was fertile and produced my little Lyric. I was so happy to have a baby grey of my own to raise. After I took him away at 3 weeks old they immediately tried again. They laid 3 eggs and none of these proved to be fertile. I took the box off once I was sure they weren't going to hatch to give the little lovebirds a break. I just put the box back on again two weeks ago and they have been mating every morning since a few days after I put the box on. I'm expecting to see eggs within a few days. I don't know if any will hatch or not but we'll see!

Thanks Lyric for explaining about the Tags, I suspected that they were not pets as they usually have to have certain conditions for them to actually breed. It was love at first sight for them too, what a wonderful story this is, thanks for sharing it with us.:)

This is what makes Lyric so special, and who knows maybe you will get more to raise.:cheer:

What a wonderful story Lyric. It must be a great feeling to have provided a good home for the wild caught Timnehs and after 10 years of just loving a caring for them, they gave such a valuable gift back to you in return, that we all know ow as Lyric. I'll bet a song plays in your heart everytime you two are together or just sitting across from each other in eye shot.

Thanks for sharing this story!!