NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Eclectus versus Timneh?

atreasure

Hi everyone. I found this site yesterday, and have enjoyed reading about you and your Grey's. I suddenly lost my Eclectus just before Christmas after fifteen years. I finished hand-feeding him as a baby, and actually picked him out when he was only a few weeks old. The house is very empty without the daily sounds from the front room. That said, I am considering a Timneh. I had originally decided on a Grey or Eclectus fifteen years ago, but went with the Eclectus due to the lack of individual bonding. I have seen a great deal of information related to Timneh's on the Internet, and it seems like there is less issues with individual bonding and plucking than with Congo's. I also understand they are great talkers like the Congo. Can you share your personal experiences with Timneh behavior related to bonding and plucking? Any replies would be appreicated as I try to make my decision.

Thanks, Jeff

Well, I myself own a Congo but there is a TAG at my work that is just the biggest sweetheart. It is true that TAGs are are not known for being pluckers and one person birds, but a lot of that is also how you raise them. I have heard of a number of TAGs that are pluckers, so it's not like none of the do it. There are a number of people on the forum that do own TAGs and I'm sure they will be happy to tell you all about them.

HI Jeff nice to meet you!

I own a TAG and just got her in Oct. So we are still learning a whole bunch. But I like yourself did some homework and wanted a family bird so to speak. I found some info here and there on the net and they almost always said that the TAG's were a better family bird and not such a one person bird. So far I see this to be true. I can tell she does favor me a little more but if she flies off of her play stand the kids or my husband can get her with no problem. She still has some trust issues with us but I believe that is all due to what happened to her to get to us. Long story lol. But as far as talkers go, I think they do talk just as much as a CAG would. She has already started making tons of noises and every day I swear she says a new word but she mumbles it and won't say it again lol. But she is starting! I have never had an electus but this is our first TAG and even though it's taking her a bit to get to know all of us she's still a joy to have! I can see what she will be and that is what has made me soo patient through all of this but I do think that TAG's make a great pet! I do hope to own a CAG soon too probably within the next two years. Good Luck to you!

Hi Jeff, i own 4 CAG's so unfortunately i am unable to comment on a TAG ,i have a friend who has a TAG who is adorable,as with any species it is possible to have a plucker but the birds diet,environment etc.. plays a big part on the individual bird.Hopefully are TAG owners will contribute more information as Ronda has :)

I wish you the best of luck whatever bird you choose.

Hi Jeff,

When I decided to invite another parrot to move in with us (we live with a lively Conure named Jigme), I was looking at Amazons, and TAG's. The CAG's didn't really come into my first evaluation because I was reading all this stuff about them being more pluckers then the TAG's and that they were more sharply focused on one person and difficult to socialize.

My decision came after my first visit to the breeder (well, they aren't actually the breeder, they were the "feeders" LOL. They worked with one breeder and did the handfeeding and weaning and initial training). I was able to visit with various Amazons,CAG's, conures and of course the TAG's.

The Amazons seemed like quite a handful. So, I decided my conure was already providing that level of energy to the household, and shifted my focus to the TAG's. Well, at least I tried LOL! The CAG babies were quite busy doing everything to get my attention and making sure the TAGs stayed in the background!! The CAG's were chirpy, bouncy, interactive, and in general were going to make sure I didn't have a chance to get too aquainted with the TAG's! LOL! There was this one little CAG boy who nearly fell off his playtop trying to get my attention! I mean, the CAGs were pretty hard to refuse.

The TAG's preferred not to have anything to do with me, so going by how I've found my canine family members in the past - the one who is drawn to me and sticks with me might have the right chemistry, in my heart - CAG it was - but, I was still open to having my mind changed.

I talked to the ladies who run the avairy afterwards about whether what I was seeing was typical CAG/TAG behavior and they echoed what I was feeling - chemistry is an odd thing - what is typical for one person, may not be typical for another. And that made sense. After all, these are highly intelligent, sentient beings and why wouldn't they make a decision about us as we do about them?

Since all the CAG's I had seen were already spoken for, I made me decision for a CAG and waited for the next hatchlings to arrive. Then one of the babies I had been playing with came available - my sweet Bella (I say that as I'm listening to her attack her toys and it sounds fierce!!).

The family she was initially going to brought home a Macaw first and had their hands full and felt they wouldn't be able to devote the attention they needed to a baby CAG. Fate? Maybe! All I know is the chemistry was there, I visited with her two more times before bringing her home. The ladies put us together alone, and let us "find our way" to each other. It took no time at all, and I was able to pick her up, hold her and hum into her ear, she snuggled under my chin and nearly fell asleep.

So - is it a question of breed? Maybe, but I also think it's a question of chemistry, that's why I think I'd always make a point of visiting the breeder, more then once. Since it is such a long term committment, I think it's important for both parties to "feel" right about each other.

Cheers!

Terri<br><br>Post edited by: Nychsa, at: 2008/01/24 15:56

Nychsa I understand exactly what you are saying! At times the bird picks its owner. That is how it was with Deliliah. She picked us and we took her home the very same day. It was love at first site. Messiah was just a baby when we bought him (6 weeks) and we bonded with him for two months before actually bringing him home. I thought the TAGs were cute but the CAGs seem to be more friendly and persistent. If I had the room I'd buy more CAGs but alas my quiver is full.

Woody6 wrote:

Nychsa I understand exactly what you are saying! At times the bird picks its owner. That is how it was with Deliliah. She picked us and we took her home the very same day. It was love at first site. Messiah was just a baby when we bought him (6 weeks) and we bonded with him for two months before actually bringing him home. I thought the TAGs were cute but the CAGs seem to be more friendly and persistent. If I had the room I'd buy more CAGs but alas my quiver is full.

LOL they do pick us don't they Woody! Jiggy did the same thing to me. I had been thinking and researching parrots for about a year, but never made the first move to make it happen, and I hadn't even thought about conures. Then one day I was at Petco with my greyhounds and we walked by the conures and there was Jiggy doing anything and everything in his power to get my attention. I asked the attendant to let me see him and she looked anxious but cautiously let him come out to me. We connected immediately. The attendant was totally surprised and said he generally bites everyone and that's why she was so worried when I wanted to see him. He didn't bite me once (well, in the mean time he makes it a regular habit - like now he keeps nipping my ear sitting here with me LOL!). Did he win me over? You bet he did! The whole family couldn't imagine what life would be like without him!

Cheers!

Terri

I have a TAG. Finnigan is only 8 months old now, but I have had her since she was 2 months old. She is a good family bird but has her preferences to her favorites and has no problem expressing them. I get the impression that his an overall AG trait more than CAG v. TAG. She whistles and carries on, not much talking yet. Although, she did say something funny this morning. She has a funny little whistle that she does, that I can not duplicate, so I say "Whiddle Whee" in response. She did her whistle this morning and before I could respond, she said.."whiddle whee"! It was very funny. She is still young to talk so I can't comment on that but I don't believe she will have any problem, if she chooses to speak, considering that she pops out with a few random things every now and then. She has an opinion about everything and a fearless little attitude. She has a big bird attitude in a little bird body. I think although, you hear that TAG's don't pluck as much, who can really say, they are not as popular, so not as many fingers in the pie to say how it tastes, so to speak. I think from listening to most of the people here, both the CAG and the TAG have very similar dispositions and its the individual personality that really makes your bird. I would make my decision based on size, and looks if you really want to narrow it down...otherwise do what it seems others on the forum have done, go where they both are and make your choice based on chemistry. I do love my little TAG and would trade her for nothing. She is packed with personality and is making a fine member of our family. I definelty recommend TAGs as a great avian family member.

I have a TAG. Finnigan is only 8 months old now, but I have had her since she was 2 months old. She is a good family bird but has her preferences to her favorites and has no problem expressing them. I get the impression that his an overall AG trait more than CAG v. TAG. She whistles and carries on, not much talking yet. Although, she did say something funny this morning. She has a funny little whistle that she does, that I can not duplicate, so I say "Whiddle Whee" in response. She did her whistle this morning and before I could respond, she said.."whiddle whee"! It was very funny. She is still young to talk so I can't comment on that but I don't believe she will have any problem, if she chooses to speak, considering that she pops out with a few random things every now and then. She has an opinion about everything and a fearless little attitude. She has a big bird attitude in a little bird body. I think although, you hear that TAG's don't pluck as much, who can really say, they are not as popular, so not as many fingers in the pie to say how it tastes, so to speak. I think from listening to most of the people here, both the CAG and the TAG have very similar dispositions and its the individual personality that really makes your bird. I would make my decision based on size, and looks if you really want to narrow it down...otherwise do what it seems others on the forum have done, go where they both are and make your choice based on chemistry. I do love my little TAG and would trade her for nothing. She is packed with personality and is making a fine member of our family. I definelty recommend TAGs as a great avian family member.

Wow, you all have great companions! I again appreciate your comments and stories. Are any of you from Illinois and know a good Grey breeder? I purchased my Eclectus from a breeder, and we picked him out when he was only a few weeks old, and later finished the hand feeding. I will continue watching for new postings.

Thank you again to all who have left information.

Jeff