NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

HELP!!!!!!

vacavreb

My wife and I were given a gorgeous Congo Grey named Boo last night. We were given a large, luxurious cage as well. He came from what appears to have been a good home. The family was moving and didn't want to move the birds. He is five and was raised with a crested cockatoo for his entire childhood. He chatters and appears to be comfortable. My question is this: Boo immediately allowed me to pet him in the head in a preening manner, but lunges at my wife violently. He broke skin when she attempted to not pull away as all the books said to do. I know this happened on the first night, but is there a way that I can be proactive in handling this issue?

Have her bring some fruits or treats to him while you are in another room. My aunt had the same problem for a while but she started giving treats and being the one to change food and water bowls. They tend to take to the person who cares for them most. Let your wife take some of these duties and see if that helps. Good luck, and keep us up to date.

Good advice by Kllorio! Bribery can work wonders, and handfeeding special treats is a good way to change the way a parrot thinks about a person. However, if he decided so quickly on the man, he may never be overly friendly with the woman. He might have been bonded to a man in his first home. My Grey is much better with women than he is with men, for example.

I would suggest that your wife not "accept" or "take" the bite. That only encourages the bird to bite more and harder since she didn't seem to understand the first time what he was trying to communicate. He does not want her to attempt petting him, that is very clear and needs to be respected. It is much better to avoid the bite by not provoking the bird, and invading his space. Take it slowly since the bird has just come to your house. Let him settle in and get relaxed in the new home and with you, the new people. At some point (and it does not need to be this week), you should be able to hand the bird to your wife, taken him back, praise him, treat him, and do it regularly, until she can hold him, carry him. But my thoughts are that you should never expect a parrot to accept pets if the bird has chosen not to want that from any particular person. They are very different from dogs in that they usually do not want physical contact except with their favorite.

Congratulations on the new member of your family!

Reta

Everyone has given great advice, I couldn't have said it better myself. Don't push your new feathered family member into something he doesn't want to do because it could really push any progress back even more. Your wife my also want to sit near the cage and talk and read aloud to him...greys/parrots seem to respond to that pretty well.

One of the things that worked for my husband when we first got our birds and my CAG wouldn't have anything to do with him was for me to be playing on the floor with her and then when I got up and walked away (still talking to her but not taking her with me) she wouldn't want to be on the floor anymore. She hates being on the floor alone so she would go to anyone if she's in that situation. Enough times (can't say how many) of him "rescuing" her and he was able to approach her in more situations (first from the play stand, then from the outside of her cage, then from the inside of her cage). We have had her for a year and a half (she is 13) and she still won't let him skritch her and I don't know if she ever will, but she does let him pick her up now).

Just don't push him. It can take awhile (up to weeks/months) for any bird to get comfortable in a new home, and I think it's even more difficult for greys.

Good luck! I'm sure you will soon find Boo a very rewarding addition to your family, even if he doesn't "warm up" to everyone equally!

Please keep us posted on Boo's progress and integration into your home and into your life!

Lisa

i agree with everyone, tell your wife to give the bird some space...and find out whats its fav treat..then let her do the feeding for a while you'd be amazed how birds and animals in general get around...they test you at first just like we do...

if you look around the training section of fourms youll find a recommend books thread...i found most of them at book stores for 12 dollers or sometimes less if used and they help with alot with background information on greys..internet helps but most of the websites have general information..you did the right choice by joing here ;) ..good luck and ask any question..people here are eager to share thier experiences and advice ..welcome to the fourm and why dont u introduce your self at the main section of the fourm, hope this helped , abdullah :lol:

You just brought this grey home so don't expect too much too soon, it takes time to form a bond and Boo obviously is more taken with males than females.

The advice of others to let the wife give the treats and interact with Boo when you aren't at home is excellent and Boo may never come to accept her like he does you but that is the way in the grey world, they choose their favorites.

Why don't you introduce yourself in the welcome room and tell us a little more about yourself and Boo.