NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

MILLET EATER

ICERAT4

Millet is a nutritious, low fat grain and is fine to feed as PART of a varied, healthy diet. The all important Vit. A is missing in grains as is complete protein, and your bird needs fresh vegetables (especially the dark green and orange kinds), and some fruit, in addition to other grains (wheat, oats, quinoa, buckwheat, barley, kamut, spelt), soaked and cooked legumes (especially lentils and mung beans, easier to digest) a few almonds, and once a week a small bit of protein food - cooked egg, small piece of grilled chicken or salmon.

Reta

Yeah, it's a good treat for them here and there. It's not high in fat like sunflower seeds and is fun for them to eat as well. I have heard that millet is also good for plucking birds because it keeps them busy picking all those tiny little seeds instead of picking feathers.

At the pet store we don't give the cockatoos or the macaws it at all...the grey's don't get it that often.

My only BIG scare with Elmo was when he just weaned and I gave him a big sprig of millet before I went out for a little while. When I got home he had eaten every little seed off the sprig and his crop was filled. I touched it and it felt just like a hacky-sake or beanbag ball. I was flipping out and I called my breeder in hysterics. He started laughing about my description and told me to relax. He said not to worry just yet and wait and see if the crop would start to empty on it's own. Sure enough it did, but ever sense I only give him small sections at a time.

Just a clarification - I think everyone is talking about millet sprays here? Red and white millet also is available as a grain (just the seeds), and it's a great addition to an overnight soak mix of grains and seeds. Also hulled millet can be bought at natural foods stores in the bins, and it's an excellent cooked grain. I often use it as a part of the grains in my cooked grain/lentil/sweet potato mix that I make and freeze in 2 to 3 day packages.

Reta