NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

biting

TAJ

I'VE HAD MY GREY FOR 10 YAEARS HE HAS BITTEN HERE AND TRERE NO BIG DEAL. NOW HE ATTACKS WHENEVER I GO NEAR HIS CAGE EVEN JUST TO FEED HIM WHICH LATELY IS NOT EASY. TODAY HE TORE MY LIP OPEN WHEN I WENT IN TO GET HIS BOWL. HOW DO I STOP THIS BEHAVIOR ?

hey there TAJ,ive yet to own an AG but from the many threads i read about other owners saying pretty much the same thing...the question is how many times does he do it ....when? and is it just around his cage....most of the time some owners say that usually its only around the cage...once hes in the living room or away from his cage or what not hes normal again...greys can be very protective of thier territory ''cage''..alot of parrots tend to act that way which is normal really, my concern would be is he attacking constantly even away from his cage

Hmmm this is interesting. IS he attacking all people? Have you changed his environment? New toys? Moved to a new location in the house? New house? someting different in his diet? Weather changes? Has something changed with you? Maybe a new Shampoo, hair cut?

I notice that my birds specifically my Greys do NOT tolerate change very well at all. I can't wear my hair down at all around them they will attack me in a heartbeat! Also I would maybe consult a vet to see if there is an underlying illness associated with his aggression. good luck!

NOTHING HAS CHANGED IN ANY WAY . I USE THE SAME BRANDS OF FOOD . NO NEW TOYS NOTHING IT'S ALL THE SAME. IT JUST STARTED ONE DAY AND HASN'T STOPPED. IF I OPEN THE CAGE DOOR HE ACTUALLY CLOSES IT. HE WON'T COME OUT AT ALL. HE NEVER DID LIKE MY WIFE . NOW HE WON'T EVEN PLAY WITH THE MALAMUTES LIKE HE USE TO. I'M LOST

I agree Lovie, this is interesting for a 10 year old grey to act this way, and he won't even come out of his cage. Something has changed in his environment and they hate any kind of change or something has happened that he is fearful of you now. Try to think of anything recently that is different no matter how trival to try to find out what has caused this change in behavior.

Well that may well be the answer then TAJ, greys can be very tempermental & don't take to change very well.You will have to let him adjust to the reef aquarium it sounds as if it's the tank that may well of scared him.Continue to open his door, reassure him all is ok, be patient with him.

Wow TAJ, that is a scary bite to have your Lip ripped open!!

I can not imagine the questions and thoughts going through your head. It does seem that, as others mentioned since the aquarium is the only change, it is HIGHLY suspect as being the root cause of this behavioural change. Especially since he closes the Cage door if you leave it open. He has no desire at this time to come out into the zone of fear that now exists in that room for him and he is taking his frustration and resent out on you for bringing it into his realm of comfort and safety.

No telling how long it will take for him to get used to it.

Did he used to spend a lot of time out of his cage previously with you?

HE COULDN'T WAIT TO COME OUT AND SIT ON MY SHOLDER. NOW HE WOULD RATHER BITE ME.

HE ALSO USED TO TALK UP A STORM NOW HE SAYS ALMOST NOTHING. HE USED TO TELL ME WHAT HE WANTED TO EAT NOW HE ATTACKS WHEN I GO TO FEED HIM.

I'M AT MY WITTS END. HE GREW UP NEXT TO AN AQUARIUM THEN WHEN WE MOVED I SHUT IT DOWN . IT HAS BEEN A FEW YEARS BUT IT'S NOT LIKE HE HAS NEVER SEEN ONE BEFORE.

Given the fact that this is a new set-up after years of being the same it doesn’t matter that he has seen one before…it’s still new. If I was you, I would take him to an avian vet for a blood panel just to rule out anything health wise, but it may just be a waiting game for him to get used to the tank. How close to his cage is it and how big is it? If it is too close you may need to pull it back a bit so it’s not right in his area…and as he gets used to it move it back.

TAJ i must admit if it's not the aquarium then i am at a slight loss as to what is causing his odd behaviour.

Is he eating,preening,playing in his cage etc.. ? not sitting lethargic ?

Apart from perhaps a vet check to see if he is ok, Could he have damaged himself at all ? He may be in pain ? maybe the other members may have some more ideas.